Hypercalcemia - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your hypercalcemia?

Please select the white circle:

What are the signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia?

In the majority of patients with hypercalcemia, the signs and symptoms are minimal. In general, the symptoms increase with higher levels of calcium in the blood. In severe cases, the elevated calcium levels can cause abnormal heart rhythms with specific findings on electrocardiogram (EKG).

Because of the clinical findings that are seen in hypercalcemia, the symptoms are often described as "moans, stones, groans, and bones".

Some of the symptoms include the following:

Moans (gastrointestinal conditions)

• Confusion
  • Dementia
  • Memory loss
  • Depression

Bones (bone pain and bone-related conditions)

• Bone aches and pains
  • Fractures
  • Curving of the spine and loss of height
Return to Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)

Comment from: sanjay pawar, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My 5 months old son is now hospitalized due to his suffering from high calcium and PTH (parathyroid hormone). He had thyroid surgery when he was 2 months old then also his calcium level is not in control and it is always high. He has had no weight gain from his birth.

Comment from: CindyEB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

After 5 days in the hospital due to increased levels of calcium, I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. It"s located around my lungs. I was back in the hospital 3 weeks later with hypercalcemia again. I am trying to keep myself hydrated and listening to my body for warning signs. The first time before being admitted, I was fatigued, my heart raced all the time. This went on for a few days before I went to the doctor, who did blood work and made me go to the hospital as it was at a critical level. The second time it came on all of a sudden. I was at work and then "boom"... my heart was racing, I had shortness of breath. I had to be taken immediately to the hospital.