Hypercalcemia - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your hypercalcemia?

What are the signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia?

In the majority of patients with hypercalcemia, the signs and symptoms are minimal. In general, the symptoms increase with higher levels of calcium in the blood. In severe cases, the elevated calcium levels can cause abnormal heart rhythms with specific findings on electrocardiogram (EKG).

Because of the clinical findings that are seen in hypercalcemia, the symptoms are often described as "moans, stones, groans, and bones".

Some of the symptoms include the following:

Moans (gastrointestinal conditions)

• Confusion
  • Dementia
  • Memory loss
  • Depression

Bones (bone pain and bone-related conditions)

• Bone aches and pains
  • Fractures
  • Curving of the spine and loss of height
Return to Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)

Comment from: CindyEB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

After 5 days in the hospital due to increased levels of calcium, I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. It"s located around my lungs. I was back in the hospital 3 weeks later with hypercalcemia again. I am trying to keep myself hydrated and listening to my body for warning signs. The first time before being admitted, I was fatigued, my heart raced all the time. This went on for a few days before I went to the doctor, who did blood work and made me go to the hospital as it was at a critical level. The second time it came on all of a sudden. I was at work and then "boom"... my heart was racing, I had shortness of breath. I had to be taken immediately to the hospital.

Comment from: LoisElaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

An MRI showed a thyroid tumor. As I went under for surgery, my calcium levels were checked and were 15. I had 1 parathyroid removed, 1 biopsy, looked at and tumor not found. Also thyroid was removed. After surgery my levels dropped to the normal range, but I experienced tetany and spent 2 weeks in the hospital until stable. I left the hospital taking Citracal and Rocaltrol (D) in large amounts daily. My blood was tested daily, and as my levels climbed we would drop back on dosage. This went on for a month. Then levels were tested weekly for a couple months, until finally a small dose of calcium and D kept the levels correct. I also took Synthroid. I was about 23 years old. Four years later when I was pregnant the doctor wanted me off all medications. I was scared to death but my levels have been stable since. I'm now 47. I only take Synthroid daily and have had no other issues. Looking back, migraine headaches stopped as soon as the parathyroid adenoma was removed. Also, I was always thirsty. And would get strange blisters under my tongue, like bubbles. I didn't think I felt bad until I felt better.