Hot Flashes - Symptoms

What are the symptoms associated with your hot flashes?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of hot flashes?

• Hot flashes are typically brief, lasting from about 30 seconds to a few minutes.
  • Redness of the skin, known as flushing, may accompany hot flashes.
  • Excessive perspiration (sweating) can also occur; when hot flashes occur during sleep they may be accompanied by night sweats.

The timing of the onset of hot flashes in women approaching menopause is variable.

• While not all women will experience hot flashes, many normally menstruating women will begin experiencing hot flashes even several years prior to the cessation of menstrual periods.
  • It is impossible to predict if a woman will experience hot flashes, and if she does, when they will begin.
  • About 40% to 85% of women experience hot flashes at some point in the menopausal transition.
Return to Hot Flashes

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had extreme anxiety, heart palpitations, profuse flushing, profuse sweating, and night sweats. I also had a feeling of being on the verge of passing out.

Comment from: Pear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

For at least 5 years I have been having maddening hot flashes. I am getting heat rash from my hot flashes. I cannot believe this is normal. My previous doctor had suspected an abnormality in my adrenaline gland. Unfortunately, he decided life was not worth living. I have not been able to get another doctor to take this seriously. I have been told to give it more time, but I cannot wear short sleeves because the rash covers my arms, yet clothing seems to lock the heat in. I'm not sure what to do next.