Bone Spurs - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms of bone spurs?

Bone spurs may or may not cause symptoms. When they do cause symptoms, the symptoms depend on their location. Bone spurs can be associated with pain, numbness, and tenderness if they are irritating adjacent tissues, such as skin, fat pads, nerves, or tendons.

Heel spurs cause local foot pain, tenderness, and sometimes swelling. This can lead to difficulty walking due to pain at the bottom of the foot with weight-bearing. Sometimes there is accompanying inflammation of the entire bottom of the foot (plantar fasciitis) when the heel spur occurs in the bottom of the heel bone. Occasionally, bone spurs in this location are a result of inflammatory arthritis, such as from reactive arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, or diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH or Forrestier's disease).

Spurs in the spine can pinch adjacent nerves to cause numbness, tingling, and pain as well as weakness in the area of the body supplied by the affected nerve.

Some bone spurs do not cause symptoms and are incidentally detected by X-ray tests that are performed for other reasons. These spurs may have formed because of past injury to nearby tissues, such as tendons, that caused local inflammation of the bone, leading to the development of the bone spur.

Return to Bone Spurs

Comment from: SASSYBOO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I found out yesterday I have a bone spur in my shoulder, it is very painful.

Comment from: Colsum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had 6 bone spur surgeries; one in the foot, back, 2 knees, 2 shoulders and now I have one on my foot right behind my little toe. It hurts like heck and some days I can barely stand the pain. I really don"t want another surgery.