Bone Spurs - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?

What are symptoms of bone spurs?

Bone spurs may or may not cause symptoms. When they do cause symptoms, the symptoms depend on their location. Bone spurs can be associated with pain, numbness, and tenderness if they are irritating adjacent tissues, such as skin, fat pads, nerves, or tendons.

Heel spurs cause local foot pain, tenderness, and sometimes swelling. This can lead to difficulty walking due to pain at the bottom of the foot with weight-bearing. Sometimes there is accompanying inflammation of the entire bottom of the foot (plantar fasciitis) when the heel spur occurs in the bottom of the heel bone. Occasionally, bone spurs in this location are a result of inflammatory arthritis, such as from reactive arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, or diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH or Forrestier's disease).

Spurs in the spine can pinch adjacent nerves to cause numbness, tingling, and pain as well as weakness in the area of the body supplied by the affected nerve.

Some bone spurs do not cause symptoms and are incidentally detected by X-ray tests that are performed for other reasons. These spurs may have formed because of past injury to nearby tissues, such as tendons, that caused local inflammation of the bone, leading to the development of the bone spur.

Return to Bone Spurs

Comment from: Ahage612, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I've been having neck pain for about 5 1/2 weeks and I had an MRI today and I found out I have bone spurs on the seventh of my cervical vertebrae. The MRI showed it to be a very large bone spur and pinching my spinal cord I am very nervous about meeting with an orthopedic doctor and the thought of surgery.

Comment from: tellitlikeitis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I ran a lot on a tread mill. Last year I couldn't run anymore because of the pain in my knee. I went to the orthopedic doctor and did x-rays and discovered bone spurs. Can I say painful! He wanted to inject cortisone shot but I opted out. I took hyaluronic acid in capsule form over the counter supplement. I just order it on line. I have been taking it for a year now and within in 3 months of taking it, I was walking better without limping due to less pain. Now a year and a half has gone by and I was doing so great without the pain that I was tempted to run again; a big mistake. The pain is back but not to the degree it was before. I will just lay off the running and lose weight by less intake of calories. I know, easier said than done. Anyway try hyaluronic acid, folks.