1p36 Deletion Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

Please describe the signs and symptoms that led to a diagnosis of 1p36 deletion syndrome.

Share your story with others:

MedicineNet appreciates your comment. Your comment may be displayed on the site and will always be published anonymously.Patient Comments FAQs

Enter your Comment

Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other MedicineNet users. (Optional)

Screen Name: *

Gender of Patient: Male Female

Age Range of Patient:

I am a: Patient Caregiver


* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.

By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to MedicineNet, you grant MedicineNet permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. MedicineNet will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for MedicineNet to use your Submission as set forth above.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:

  • Please make sure you address the question asked.
  • Due to the overwhelming number of comments received, not all comments will be published.
  • When selecting comments to publish, our staff will choose those that are educational and complement the topic. Please try to stay on topic.
  • Your comment may be edited. We would typically edit comments to make them clearer and more readable. We will remove personal information such as last names, email and web addresses, and other potentially harmful information.
  • We will not notify you if your comment has been published. We suggest that you check back on the topic article regularly.
  • We do not provide medical or healthcare advice, treatment, or diagnosis.

Thank you for participating!


I have read and agree to abide by the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and the MedicineNet Privacy Policy (required).

To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.

Please select the white circle:

What are the characteristics, signs, and symptoms of 1p36 deletion syndrome?

Unfortunately, for the affected individuals and family, missing DNA in this section is very influential on a person's overall development and is often unnoticed until the newborn or infant is noted to miss physical or developmental landmarks. These landmarks that are missed or severely delayed comprise the symptoms and signs of 1p36 deletion syndrome. Not all symptoms will be present in each individual because there is variation from person to person and, in general, most researchers think that the more DNA missing from 1p36, the more intense or apparent these symptoms will appear.

Many individuals will have a small head size that is short and wide (about 75%); many have noticeable facial features of deep-set eyes with straight-appearing eyebrows, a sunkenappearing face with a broad flat nose and an elongated area from nose to mouth, a pointed chin, low-set ears that are rotated backwards and are abnormally shaped. Some individuals are preliminarily diagnosed from their appearance described above; others may have less noticeable physical symptoms and require FISH or CGH tests for diagnosis.

To confirm or establish the diagnosis it is appropriate to test any individual suspected of having 1p36 deletion syndrome as follows:

  • Conventional cytogenetic studies to detect large deletions (i.e., > 5 Mb) and more complex cytogenetic rearrangements (unbalanced chromosome translocations)
  • FISH with at least two subtelomeric region-specific probes (Vysis 1p subtel probe, Vysis p58 probe; D1Z2 Oncor probe or CEB108/T7) to detect unbalanced translocations and to identify parental chromosome rearrangements
  • Deletion/duplication analysis by CMA to detect smaller deletions (i.e., > 5 Mb) or interstitial deletions or complex rearrangements

There are other problems (symptoms) that many individuals with 1p36 deletion syndrome develop:

  • About 90% have severe learning disabilities
  • About 75% will have no ability to form words, the other approximate 25% will only develop a few words or phrases
  • About 70% develop types of heart problems
  • About 50% will develop seizures, behavior problems, and hearing problems
  • Other problems such as weak muscle tone, breathing problems, eye problems, swallowing problems, genital malformations (usually minor in males), and metabolic problems have been reported
Return to 1p36 Deletion Syndrome

STAY INFORMED

Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!