Mucormycosis - Treatment

Describe the treatment and medications received for mucormycosis.

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment of mucormycosis?

Treatments of mucormycosis need to be fast and aggressive. The need for speed is because by the time even the presumptive diagnosis is made, often the patient has suffered significant tissue damage that cannot be reversed. Most patients will require both surgical and medical treatments. Most infectious-disease experts say that without aggressive surgical debridement of the infected area, the patient is likely to die. Medications play an important role. Two main goals are sought at the same time: antifungal medications to slow or halt fungal spread and medications to treat any debilitating underlying diseases. Amphotericin B (initially intravenous) is the usual drug of choice for antifungal treatment. Patients with underlying diseases like diabetes need their diabetes optimally controlled. Patients normally on steroids or undergoing treatment with deferoxamine (Desferal; used to remove excess iron in the body) are likely to have these medications stopped because they can increase the survival of fungi in the body. Patients may need additional surgeries and usually need antifungal therapy for an extended time period (weeks to months) depending on the severity of the disease. Consultation with an infectious-disease expert is advised.

Return to Mucormycosis

Comment from: lucyjune, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Surgery was done to remove my right eye. I was on Amphotericin B and Posaconazole. They took me off the Amphotericin because it was affecting my kidneys, which I was told was normal; which is also why many patients do not survive. Posaconazole had been approved six months before I was diagnosed but there were not a lot of studies because most patients don't survive. But I responded well to it, and was on it for one year to insure I was fungus free. That was 7 years ago.

Comment from: KheironR, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

They have to educate the front lines about research in this area. I think my husband and I have mucormycosis or phaeomycosis. We"ve only been able to culture one of the pathogens... Cryptococcus albidus, which shouldn"t even infect humans at all. A very prestigious local hospital almost killed us. They tried to tell us we had delusions of parasitosis (DOP) and put us on antipsychotics. We got the positive lab culture 1.5 months later. My presentations were subcutaneous invasion of my lymphatic and rhinocerebral systems, and gastrointestinal tract. I am very lucky to be alive. I am still detoxing/herxing, but so happy to feel this good even if it took 1.5 years.