Mucormycosis - Risk Factors

If known, what were the risk factors for mucormycosis in you or someone you know?

Please select the white circle:

What are risk factors for mucormycosis?

A risk factor is any debilitating disease process, especially diseases that can yield compromised blood flow to tissue; the classic example is the patient with uncontrolled diabetes and foot ulcers where dirt or debris can easily reach compromised tissue. Patients with burns, malignancies, immunodepressed patients, patients with a splenectomy, and people with wounds (usually severe) that have been contaminated with soil or environmental water are at higher risk to get mucormycosis. Consequently, people injured in environmental disasters are, as a group, at high risk for this infection.

Return to Mucormycosis

Comment from: lucyjune, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with Mucormycosis in November of 2006. I had diabetes and my sugars were elevated.

Comment from: Brother, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My brother just recently passed away from this mucormycosis, 7 months after a liver transplant. He also had kidney failure and it was also said that he had multiple lobar pneumonia. I believe that it was mucor pneumonia, and it caused the lobar pneumonia. I am not a doctor, but when you have a hole in your chest, with the circumference of a large coffee can then I would say that was the final cause of death. He contracted this mucormycosis in the ICU at the hospital.