Stiff-Person Syndrome - Symptoms

What were your signs and symptoms associated with Stiff-Person syndrome?

Please select the black square:

What are the signs and symptoms of Stiff-Person syndrome?

Stiff-Person syndrome is characterized by fluctuating muscle rigidity in the trunk and limbs and a heightened sensitivity to stimuli such as noise, touch, and emotional distress, which can set off muscle spasms. Abnormal postures, often hunched over and stiffened, are characteristic of the disorder. People with Stiff-Person syndrome can be too disabled to walk or move, or they are afraid to leave the house because street noises, such as the sound of a horn, can trigger spasms and falls.

Return to Stiff-Person Syndrome

Comment from: cjh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was treated for many years for multiple sclerosis. Baclofen was the treatment with a pump suggested. I broke both my arms a short time apart and stayed home for 3 weeks the first time, and 2 weeks the second time due to my legs not working. I also fell with my walker and had to have 3 root canals after hitting my mouth. I also went the route of counseling for depression. I was referred to a specialist and finally diagnosed with Stiff-Person syndrome. The IV steroids and taking valium has worked wonders. It has taken approximately 4 years to walk in a parking lot or on a hard surface but it keeps getting better. For me it has been a miracle drug.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My symptoms of Stiff-Person syndrome started with continuous, blinding double vision, which lasted 3 months. After that, I started getting excruciating back pain, and stiffness and spasms in my leg, and fell continuously. I had electrical shocks, numbness, tingling everywhere. In addition, the double vision continued off and on during 19 months, until I was finally diagnosed. Unfortunately, mine was caused by breast cancer which went undiagnosed too late, so was diagnosed with stage 3C breast cancer. After surgeries, and chemotherapy, all my symptoms left me.