Coats' Disease - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of Coats' disease in someone you know?

Please select the black square:

What are symptoms and signs of Coats' disease?

There is a gradual decrease of vision which may not be recognized at first due to the young age at which the disease begins. Since it often starts in one eye, the child may compensate well and not notice that the vision is bad in the other eye. It may begin in infants, is most commonly seen between 6-9 years of age, and it rarely is seen in geriatric patients. It is a painless disease.

It usually only occurs in one eye and is more common in males. When only one eye is involved, the individual may carry out almost all visual tasks but may have some limitations if binocular vision is required (relatively rarely). This is usually not noticed by the individual or parents. Depth perception is still present, but it may be decreased significantly.

In England, one study found 0.09 cases in every 100,000 individuals. Therefore, it is quite rare.

Return to Coats' Disease

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My glasses broke in April of 2012. I was having some vision problems prior to that so went to the eye care center thinking all I needed was new glasses and maybe stronger ones, but immediately the doctor knew something was wrong because I was failing to see out of my right eye. I couldn't even see the big E with my right eye. She made me an appointment with an eye specialist for the following week and they did x-rays and that same day did a laser eye treatment to stop the bleeding in my right eye. My retinal blood vessel in my eye had been bleeding into my eye. Since then I had one more laser eye treatment and one shot in the eye and have been told not much can be done, just go for checkups to make sure it doesn't get worse again. I have only peripheral vision in the eye and am wearing bifocal glasses.