Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.

Please select the white circle:

Anaphylaxis facts

• Anaphylaxis is the most severe allergic reaction and is potentially life threatening.
  • Anaphylaxis is rare. The vast majority of people will never have an anaphylactic reaction.
  • The most common causes of anaphylaxis include drugs, such as penicillin, insect stings, foods (peanuts, shellfish), X-ray dye, and latex.
  • The symptoms of anaphylaxis may vary and can include hives, tongue swelling, vomiting, and even shock.
  • If someone is at risk, avoidance is the best form of treatment.
  • If one has a history of serious allergic reaction, he or she should always carry an epinephrine kit.
Return to Anaphylaxis

Comment from: Bugsuid, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had many allergies from birth; primarily horse, cow, dog, cat, ragweed, golden rod, hay, and manure. I got a yellow fever vaccine prior to a trip to South America. They told me to wait 1 hour. After 45 minutes I got impatient and wanted to leave; they asked if I had any symptoms, I replied no. A friend drove me home, dropped me off at the head of my street, and I started to walk home. It seemed to take a long time so I looked at my watch; my entire arm was swollen, above the watchband; walking became difficult; it seemed that I was walking through marshmallows with a soft, squishy floor and heavy legs and feet. I made it home, my husband put me to bed and I awoke several hours later feeling tired but otherwise normal.

Comment from: Alexis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I have a lot of people in my family with behavioral health disorders, many of whom took medications to help with them. Many in my family had problems with Risperdal and I told my doctor that. She didn't listen to me and I didn't realize she prescribed it to me, it was called risperidone. I took it and within an hour, I started feeling like I was wearing a silver necklace but I wasn't wearing any jewelry. Then, after 3 hours, I was having trouble breathing and at 5 hours I was in the hospital with anaphylaxis.