Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.

Please select the black triangle:

Anaphylaxis facts

• Anaphylaxis is the most severe allergic reaction and is potentially life threatening.
  • Anaphylaxis is rare. The vast majority of people will never have an anaphylactic reaction.
  • Common triggers of an anaphylactic reaction include drugs, such as penicillin, insect stings, foods (peanuts, shellfish), X-ray dye, and latex.
  • The symptoms of anaphylaxis may vary and can include hives, tongue swelling, vomiting, and even shock.
  • If someone is at risk, avoidance is the best form of treatment.
  • If one has a history of serious allergic reaction, he or she should always carry an epinephrine kit.
Return to Anaphylaxis

Comment from: Alexis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I have a lot of people in my family with behavioral health disorders, many of whom took medications to help with them. Many in my family had problems with Risperdal and I told my doctor that. She didn't listen to me and I didn't realize she prescribed it to me, it was called risperidone. I took it and within an hour, I started feeling like I was wearing a silver necklace but I wasn't wearing any jewelry. Then, after 3 hours, I was having trouble breathing and at 5 hours I was in the hospital with anaphylaxis.

Comment from: stevie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I have had seven bouts of anaphylaxis over the past two weeks. I have been admitted to hospital each time. I did originally think I had an allergy, but now I am under the impression it may be due to having an ulcer. I am not a doctor so don't take this as gospel. But if you are suffering anaphylaxis and have a lump in the center of your chest this may be linked. It could also be the throat if you get symptoms of indigestion and heart burn, at the same time it may be an ulcer. You should always tell anyone who treats you. You need prednisolone to take home with you, other than EpiPen prednisolone will stop your throat closing over.