Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.

Please select the black triangle:

Anaphylaxis facts

• Anaphylaxis is the most severe allergic reaction and is potentially life threatening.
  • Anaphylaxis is rare. The vast majority of people will never have an anaphylactic reaction.
  • The most common causes of anaphylaxis include drugs, such as penicillin, insect stings, foods (peanuts), X-ray dye, latex.
  • The symptoms of anaphylaxis may vary and can include hives, tongue swelling, vomiting, and even shock.
  • If you are at risk, avoidance is the best form of treatment.
  • If you have a history of serious allergic reaction, always have an epinephrine kit with you; it could save your life.
Return to Anaphylaxis

Comment from: Cllayton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I went into anaphylaxis shock in May of 2011. My hands and feet started to burn like when your hands get too cold. Then I had cramping in my bowels and the whites of my eyes turned red, hands and wrist began to swell, then my tongue started to swell to the point I could hardly talk. All this that happened, according to my doctors, was due to allergic reaction to pollens and animal dander. They tell me this is very rare.

Comment from: OMalley1118, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have never had any allergies until a month ago. I awoke at 3 am feeling as though I was on fire. My skin was bright red from my hair to my hips. My skin felt very tight. My face was swollen, with my eyes almost swollen shut. My throat felt heavy and tight, and I kept trying to clear it. I took Benadryl and had my husband drive me to the emergency room. I was given IV medications and sent home to follow up with an allergist. Since then, I have had 5 subsequent events of anaphylaxis. Allergy testing has not revealed anything definitive. I carry an EpiPen with me everywhere. I am frustrated and terrified. As a nurse, I understand just how serious this could prove one day. I wish I had an answer as to what the trigger is.