Fish Odor Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with fish odor syndrome in you or someone you know?

What are the signs and symptoms of fish odor syndrome (trimethylaminuria)?

As trimethylamine builds up in the body, it causes affected people to give off a fish-like odor in their sweat, urine, and breath. The intensity of this odor may vary over time. The strong body odor can interfere with many aspects of daily life, affecting a person's relationships, social life, and career. Some people with trimethylaminuria experience depression and social isolation as a result of this condition.

Return to Fish Odor Syndrome (Trimethylaminuria)

Comment from: moah6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have a smell about me which seems like I have had my entire life. I am so self-conscious about smelling bad, that it has affected how I behave, who I sit next to, who I stand next to all my life. I am so clean in my personal hygiene and always have been, and yet I still smell. Now here"s the crazy thing, I can"t and never have been able to smell myself or name the bad smell that others are smelling, and I have always been too shy or embarrassed to ask. I plucked up the courage last week to ask my doctor if I smelled and she was no help at all. Maybe I have this fish odor syndrome or something like it.

Comment from: CuriousAlso, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I used to have the fishy smell with bacterial vaginosis infections. But recently the only time I notice the smell (vaginal) is after eating even a very small taste of strong smelling fish, for e.g., smoked salmon. The only fish I can now eat, and only occasionally, is mild catfish and sometimes that may cause a slight fishy vaginal odor. Now I know what the expression "fisherman"s wife" means! Poor women. I"m going to try some dietary options. I wish you all well and thank you for sharing your stories.