Scleritis - Treatment

What treatment(s) or medication(s) have you received for your scleritis?

What is the treatment for scleritis?

Treatment of scleritis resulting from an underlying disease process usually requires specific therapy for that disease.

Topical treatment with eye drops is an adjunct to such systemic treatment. These eye drops will usually be anti-inflammatory, such as topical steroid drops or topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drops (NSAIDs). Topical antibiotics are used if the scleritis is felt to be infectious.

In situations where no underlying disease process is found, eye drops to counter inflammation are used, but they are often insufficient to control the process. Systemic treatment with NSAIDs, cortisone medication (corticosteroids), or immune modulating agents such as methotrexate (MTX) can be the first choice. But azathioprine, mycophenolate mofetil, cyclophosphamide, or cyclosporine are also used. Anti-TNF agents such as the biologics infliximab (Remicade) or adalimumab (Humira) can also be used.

Localized, subconjunctival steroid injections are often helpful in certain situations or if systemic side effects of these drugs are of concern.

Rarely, surgical procedures may be required if there is scleral thinning. In order to preserve the integrity of the eye, scleral grafts available through eye banks can be used. Corneal tissue may also be used if there is perforation or severe thinning in the limbal area.

Return to Scleritis

Comment from: Mariner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had scleritis, twice, four years ago. It was treated with ocular prednisone. Three months after that I nearly died from pericarditis that turned into cardiac tamponade. That is when they discovered I had lupus, which explained the scleritis and many other things I had had over 10 years. While my diagnosis was late in life, after seeing a specialist, it was discovered that I probably had it since I was 21, but it had never been diagnosed. I am on a lot of lupus medications (azathioprine, Plaquenil, methotrexate and prednisone). I have not had another attach of scleritis since taking these medications.