Scleritis - Risk Factors

Do you have an autoimmune disease that increases your risk of scleritis? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What are risk factors for scleritis?

The peak incidence of scleritis is in people aged 40-50 years old. Women are more commonly affected than men. The presence of known autoimmune or connective tissue disease markedly increases the risk of scleritis.

Return to Scleritis

Comment from: gardengal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I developed scleritis post wedge resection of my lower eyelid to remove a small tumor. We have treated this aggressively with high dose prednisone eye drops and ibuprofen. It almost cleared up, prednisone drops later decreased, it came back. Back up to 4 times per day eye drops, tapered down and off; after 12 weeks back on the eye drops. I have been off for 8 days and now the scleritis is back. I am so frustrated with the tearing, the redness and the constant feeling of irritation in that eye. I feel like I am never going to get rid of this unsightly problem.

Comment from: Findingacure, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have celiac disease with many symptoms. In the beginning I would not listen to my doctor to go gluten free. I was getting scleritis and relapsing polychondritis every other week. The eye pain was so severe that I decided to go gluten free. No more scleritis or polychondritis and my C-reactive protein was normal again! However, when I get cross contamination of gluten when eating out I get scleritis again. I had to get a cortisone shot in my eye for the last time. But at least if I eat at home, free of gluten the scleritis and relapsing polychondritis stays away.