Scleritis - Symptoms

Describe your signs and symptoms of scleritis.

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms of scleritis?

Symptoms of scleritis include pain, redness, tearing, light sensitivity (photophobia), tenderness of the eye, and decreased visual acuity.

Pain is nearly always present and typically is severe and accompanied by tenderness of the eye to touch. The pain may be boring, lancinating, and often awakens the patient from sleep. The extreme pain of scleritis helps to differentiate it from other common causes of redness of the eyes, such as conjunctivitis or episcleritis.

There is usually no discharge from the eye in scleritis.

The discoloration that is caused by the inflammation can have a bluish hue and can involve the entire white of the eye or be localized to only one area.

Decreased visual acuity may be caused by extension of scleritis to the adjacent structures, leading to inflammation of the cornea (keratitis) or the colored portion of the front of the eye (uveitis), glaucoma, cataract, and abnormalities of the retina.

Return to Scleritis

Comment from: TP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

The white of my left eye is red all of the time. About a week before my period, the scleritis gets much worse. Eye drops give short term relief.

Comment from: Elena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have both bilateral scleritis and rheumatoid arthritis which came about the same time, 1.5 years ago. I am currently on both methotrexate and low dose prednisone and my arthritis is mainly just in the feet but my scleritis is not responding well to treatment. I am now having problems reading, pain, and experience ocular dryness, as well as some photophobia. My concern is what side effects I will get when I have to go on something stronger like Humira or Remicade. I would love to know if anyone has been successful in halting their scleritis symptoms.