Mumps - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mumps.

Please select the black square:

What is mumps?

Mumps is a viral infection transmitted by and affecting only humans. While the salivary glands (especially the parotid gland) are well known to be involved during a mumps infection, many other organ systems may also experience effects of the virus infection. There is no cure for mumps, but the illness is of short duration (seven to 10 days) and resolves spontaneously. Prior to the introduction of mumps vaccination, the highest rate of new cases of mumps was reported in the late winter to early spring.

Return to Mumps

Comment from: Ashe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was given all but my last MMR booster as a kid. My doctor didn't give it and we couldn't afford another series of bills to find somebody who would give me my booster. So when I was 18, I got the mumps in both tonsils. It wasn't that bad, my throat was very swollen. The first day I had a fever and I was very much disoriented. But after that, it was pretty much like having a standard sore throat. But the long-term effects are still going on. I have lots of trouble with my tonsils, and they are prone to getting irritated and causing head colds.

Comment from: lk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I thought I had a toothache or possible ear infection. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with mumps. I have severe pain in my right jaw, cheek, teeth and around my eye. The swelling isn't too bad, but the pain is intense even with medication.