Porphyria - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms you have experienced with porphyria.

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of porphyria?

People with cutaneous forms of porphyria develop blisters, itching, and swelling of their skin when it is exposed to sunlight. Symptoms of acute forms of porphyria include pain in the abdomen, chest, limbs, or back; numbness, tingling, paralysis, or cramping; vomiting; constipation; and personality changes or mental disorders. Acute attacks of porphyria can develop over hours or days and last for days or weeks.

Symptoms can vary widely in severity. Some people with gene mutations that can cause porphyria have no signs or symptoms of the disorder. These people are said to have latent porphyria.

Return to Porphyria

Comment from: Charles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I get itchy pimples all over my body. I can't sleep at night and it affects my vision. I also get sinus blockage and shortness of breath.

Comment from: Tan Man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I"m an oil field service technician in south Texas, that means I"m in the sun a lot and work with my hands. I'm looking for anything that will help the burning/blistering/fragile skin. My first treatment for porphyria was on 1/3/14. I have had 6 blood drainings this year, how long until I see some relief!