POT Syndrome - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).

Please select the white circle:

What is postural tachycardia syndrome?

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is one of a group of disorders that have orthostatic intolerance (OI) as their primary symptom. OI describes a condition in which an excessively reduced volume of blood returns to the heart after an individual stands up from a lying down position. The primary symptom of OI is lightheadedness or fainting. In POTS, the lightheadedness or fainting is also accompanied by a rapid increase in heartbeat of more than 30 beats per minute, or a heart rate that exceeds 120 beats per minute, within 10 minutes of rising. The faintness or lightheadedness of POTS are relieved by lying down again. Anyone at any age can develop POTS, but the majority of individuals affected (between 75 and 80 percent) are women between the ages of 15 to 50 years of age. Some women report an increase in episodes of POTS right before their menstrual periods. POTS often begins after a pregnancy, major surgery, trauma, or a viral illness. It may make individuals unable to exercise because the activity brings on fainting spells or dizziness.

Doctors aren't sure yet what causes the reduced return of blood to the heart that occurs in OI, or why the heart begins to beat so rapidly in POTS. Current thinking is that there are a number of mechanisms. Some patients have peripheral denervation (neuropathic POTS); some have symptoms that are due to sustained or parosyxmal overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system (hyperadrenergic POTS); and some individuals have PTOS dominated by features of deconditioning.

Return to POT Syndrome

Comment from: Joi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I believe I may have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) as so many of the symptoms fit. I have had headaches and neck pain for 40 years, and in stress situations or periods of standing for too long I get lightheaded, begin to experience copious sweating and if I cannot sit or lie down, I may pass out. Paramedics have been called and I was told I had extremely low blood pressure on each of these occasions and was experiencing tachycardia. I have been told several times this was vasovagal syncope. I have had memory problems on and off as well. These incidents have been quite far apart till recently. Now I am 64 and have a bad back that spasms and if I am on my feet for long, the same thing happens. I am not sure if it is POTS because my heartrate is higher than normal most of the time (95), and does go up when I stand but not 20 to 30 points. But the profuse sweating, and lightheadedness happen often now when I have to stand. I am literally drenched after a few minutes and must sit or lie down for 20 minutes or more.

Comment from: Pat H., (Patient) Published: October 02

I think I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). I have had this fainting disorder ever since I was about 18, after I gave birth. When I'm sitting and I get up and after standing for 15 minutes I get very hot and sweaty, then I have a rapid heartbeat, my ears ring, and then everything spins. I then pass out if I don't lie down first. It has happened a few times a year, but it happens quite frequently now. It's very frustrating. The doctors say that I have poor circulation. After seeing POTS, it is exactly what happens to me.