Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of Meniere's disease?

The symptoms of Meniere's disease typically include at least several of the following:

• Episodic rotational vertigo: Attacks of a spinning sensation accompanied by disequilibrium (an off-balanced sensation), nausea, and sometimes vomiting. This is usually the most troublesome symptom. The vertigo usually last 20 minutes to four hours or longer. During attacks, patients are very disabled, and sleepiness may follow. An off-balanced sensation may last for several days.
  • Tinnitus: A roaring, buzzing, machine-like, or ringing sound in the ear. It may be episodic with an attack of vertigo or it may be constant. Usually the tinnitus gets worse or will appear just before the onset of the vertigo.
  • Hearing loss: It may be intermittent early in the onset of the disease, but overtime it may become a fixed hearing loss. It may involve all frequencies, but most commonly occurs in the lower frequencies. Loud sounds may be uncomfortable and appear distorted in the affected ear.
  • Ear fullness: Usually this full feeling occurs just before the onset of an attack of vertigo.
Return to Meniere Disease

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

My first attack of Meniere's disease was over 20 years ago. I had profuse sweating and dizziness, spinning, vomiting, loss of hearing and fullness. I was taken to an emergency clinic since the people with me thought it was a heart attack. I was referred to an ENT who diagnosed Meniere's syndrome in my left ear. Prior to this first attack I remember numerous occasions of hearing water running, which of course was not real. I had episodic tinnitus for years before that which would resolve themselves. After about a year it resolved with some hearing loss and occasional ear fullness. I really did well for about 10 years but it returned with a vengeance. I felt I had been hit on the left side of my head with a ball bat; ear roaring and all the other symptoms. Now it is back and never seems to go away; a constant ache for years now and now it is developing in the right ear. It is very hard to cope. I am taking diuretic, exercise and trying to enjoy life although it seems impossible most of the time. What a horrible disease.

Comment from: Pepper, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have been diagnosed with Meniere's disease. At first I was very positive about the whole thing, but now my fear of food, my fear of salts, the nausea, and sleepiness are really starting to get to me. I eat something I feel nauseous. I know that I have to kick the caffeine that is the last thing to go on an ever growing list of things I enjoy and enjoy doing. I don't think people fully understand what all of it feels like unless they are going through it. If anyone has any additional tips I would love to have some. I recently started on Serc, and started to take B vitamins as well. It seems to be working but the sick feeling in my stomach is always there.