Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

What are the symptoms of Meniere's disease?

The symptoms of Meniere's disease typically include at least several of the following:

• Episodic rotational vertigo: Attacks of a spinning sensation accompanied by disequilibrium (an off-balanced sensation), nausea, and sometimes vomiting. This is usually the most troublesome symptom. The vertigo usually last 20 minutes to four hours or longer. During attacks, patients are very disabled, and sleepiness may follow. An off-balanced sensation may last for several days.
  • Tinnitus: A roaring, buzzing, machine-like, or ringing sound in the ear. It may be episodic with an attack of vertigo or it may be constant. Usually the tinnitus gets worse or will appear just before the onset of the vertigo.
  • Hearing loss: It may be intermittent early in the onset of the disease, but overtime it may become a fixed hearing loss. It may involve all frequencies, but most commonly occurs in the lower frequencies. Loud sounds may be uncomfortable and appear distorted in the affected ear.
  • Ear fullness: Usually this full feeling occurs just before the onset of an attack of vertigo.
Return to Meniere's Disease

Comment from: Svbratty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had Meniere's disease for 3 years now. Several times I have been out for the count, with the vertigo and vomiting. I have hearing loss in my right ear. I also have a constant loud ringing in that same ear. I am on water pills, exercise regular and try to eat a low sodium diet. These things help to reduce or minimize the attacks. I refuse to let this disease win.

Comment from: wilmoth7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had some of the symptoms of Meniere's disease when I was 52 (now 55); hearing loss in left ear, feeling of fullness. I kept trying ways to unclog it but nothing worked. One year I had 4 episodes of dizziness upon awakening in the morning and was nauseous and vomiting. I went back to sleep each time for a couple of hours and woke up just fine. It has been at least 2 years without dizziness. But my left ear progressively got worse with the hearing, the fullness and now it has had tinnitus, a low white type noise, I would call it, and now I get the pulsing sound with it. Sixty percent of hearing is lost in that ear. The other ear has some tinnitus but not very noticeable and the hearing is ok for my age. I was never diagnosed with Meniere"s by the doctor. He just called it hearing loss. One of the doctors who did a test on me said it could be Meniere"s and to cut back on salt. So maybe I have it and maybe I don"t, but it sure sounds similar to what I have been reading. The fact that it is in one ear and I had the vertigo spells and the fullness in the ear, which is the most annoying of all to me.