Meniere's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of Meniere's Disease.

What are the symptoms of Meniere's disease?

The symptoms of Meniere's disease typically include at least several of the following:

• Episodic rotational vertigo: Attacks of a spinning sensation accompanied by disequilibrium (an off-balanced sensation), nausea, and sometimes vomiting. This is usually the most troublesome symptom. The vertigo usually last 20 minutes to four hours or longer. During attacks, patients are very disabled, and sleepiness may follow. An off-balanced sensation may last for several days.
  • Tinnitus: A roaring, buzzing, machine-like, or ringing sound in the ear. It may be episodic with an attack of vertigo or it may be constant. Usually the tinnitus gets worse or will appear just before the onset of the vertigo.
  • Hearing loss: It may be intermittent early in the onset of the disease, but overtime it may become a fixed hearing loss. It may involve all frequencies, but most commonly occurs in the lower frequencies. Loud sounds may be uncomfortable and appear distorted in the affected ear.
  • Ear fullness: Usually this full feeling occurs just before the onset of an attack of vertigo.
Return to Meniere Disease

Comment from: jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My symptom of Meniere's disease is that in my right ear, there is a sensation of a distorted hearing when in a noisy setting, small room with everyone taking, loud taking, hair drier, blender, etc. This sensation is in one ear. Now I am beginning to experience dizziness and occasional vertigo, even when turning in bed.

Comment from: Tater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's disease yesterday after only having symptoms for the past 2 weeks. It started quite suddenly at work. I had a fullness in my left ear and loud roaring, never any pain, and this has never gone away since. I have significant hearing loss as well. I have had 2 attacks of dizziness where I had to sit down and one day where I was nauseated but not spinning. I had a series of tests, and MRI to rule out tumor on the brain. After hearing that I did not have a tumor but have Meniere's disease, I count myself fortunate if this is my lot in life. I know it will be a struggle but I am in for the long haul. Good luck, my Meniere's friends!