Sleep Paralysis - Signs

Please share your signs or symptoms of sleep paralysis.

What is sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Sleep paralysis may accompany other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an overpowering need to sleep caused by a problem with the brain's ability to regulate sleep.

Return to Sleep Paralysis

Comment from: Nicky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Sleep paralysis more likely happens when I take nap in day time or early morning before waking up. I cannot move my body, sometimes I can see the surroundings; my room, the place I was at but cannot move my body and I have difficulty in breathing. I then try so hard to get off that situation and wake up. It's like if I would not try by myself I will die or remain in that position forever.

Comment from: teddy bear, 65-74 (Patient) Published: August 17

I did not know what was happening. All I know is that when the sleep paralysis happens, the only way I can wake up is to try and reach my husband. After a period of fear, I can slowly walk my fingers to my husband and try to wake him. Other times I can whisper 'help me' and for some reason my husband always wakes up to help me. During a sleep paralysis episode, I feel like if I don't wake up, I will die. If I try to go back to sleep, it will happen again. Finally I will get up and read so I don't disturb his sleep. I try to nap every afternoon so I'm not so tired at bedtime. This seems to help.