Sleep Paralysis - Signs

Please share your signs or symptoms of sleep paralysis.

Please select the white circle:

What is sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Sleep paralysis may accompany other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an overpowering need to sleep caused by a problem with the brain's ability to regulate sleep.

Return to Sleep Paralysis

Comment from: teddy bear, 65-74 (Patient) Published: August 17

I did not know what was happening. All I know is that when the sleep paralysis happens, the only way I can wake up is to try and reach my husband. After a period of fear, I can slowly walk my fingers to my husband and try to wake him. Other times I can whisper 'help me' and for some reason my husband always wakes up to help me. During a sleep paralysis episode, I feel like if I don't wake up, I will die. If I try to go back to sleep, it will happen again. Finally I will get up and read so I don't disturb his sleep. I try to nap every afternoon so I'm not so tired at bedtime. This seems to help.

Comment from: donnak459, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had fallen asleep but at one point I was awake, and I could hear everything my daughter was saying. I could answer her but I could not move, and the sleep paralysis went on for 15 minutes. I was telling her to move my arms, move my legs, move me onto the floor, she did all those things (but I didn't think she did, I thought she was ignoring me) and when she went to get me up to get on the floor I woke up. She thought I was maybe having a stroke because I was speaking out of the side of my mouth. She was so glad I woke up. This happened about an hour ago.