Brain Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with brain cancer.

Please select the black square:

What is brain cancer?

Brain cancer is a disease of the brain in which cancer cells (malignant cells) arise in the brain tissue. Cancer cells grow to form a mass of cancer tissue (tumor) that interferes with brain functions such as muscle control, sensation, memory, and other normal body functions. Tumors composed of cancer cells are called malignant tumors, and those composed of mainly noncancerous cells are called benign tumors. Cancer cells that develop from brain tissue are called primary brain tumors while tumors that spread from other body sites to the brain are termed metastatic or secondary brain tumors. Statistics suggest that brain cancer occurs infrequently and is likely to develop in about 22,850 new people per year with about 15,320 deaths as estimated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the American Cancer Society.

Return to Brain Cancer

Comment from: Cable1guy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I had/have lung cancer but treatment chemotherapy/radiation was very successful. I experienced momentary weakness in my left hand on two occasions. Turns out the cancer moved into my brain; 1.5cm lesion. Next week I will have stereotactic radiosurgery to treat the threat. Frustrating setback, but feeling good about the procedure and my future. I probably won't be free of this forever, but one day at a time.

Comment from: btetre53, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 11

My mother died from brain cancer in March 2015. She went through surgery to remove the tumor, surgery to implant a shunt, surgery to remove a bleed, radiation, and oral chemotherapy. I wish she had not wanted to fight her terminal diagnosis, because she suffered for 8 months.