Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters.

What are eye floaters?

"Eye floaters" are deposits or condensation in the vitreous (often referred to as vitreous humor, vitreous fluid, or vitreous gel), the material that fills the posterior part of the eye. People use the term eye floaters to describe seeing floating spots within their vision when they look around. Eye floaters may be present in only one eye or both eyes.

Return to Floaters

Comment from: Cynde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suddenly had black spider like shapes appear in my right eye. I kept trying to brush it away because I thought it was an eyelash, insect or string. It didn't go away and I could still see it when I closed my eye. It happened so suddenly and without pain.

Comment from: Jimi1967, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I recently saw my ophthalmologist for a routine check and was told everything was great. I'm 58, I don't wear glasses (except readers) and have had good vision my entire life. A few days after my doctor visit, I developed a large ghostly blob that floats in and out of the visual field of my right eye. It obscures my vision and is driving me crazy. If it were not for my good left eye, I don't think I would even be able to drive. I went right back to my doctor who told me 'sorry, there's nothing we can do.' I can only hope that this large floater is eventually reabsorbed into the vitreous fluid.