Hematoma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hematoma?

What are the symptoms of a hematoma?

Hematomas cause irritation and inflammation. Symptoms depend upon their location and whether the size of the hematoma or the associated swelling and inflammation causes structures nearby to be affected. The common symptoms of inflammation include redness, pain, and swelling.

In general, superficial hematomas of skin, soft tissue, and muscle tend to resolve over time. The initial firm texture of the blood clot gradually becomes more spongy and soft as the clot is broken down by the body and the shape changes as the fluid drains away and the hematoma flattens. The color changes from that of a purplish-blue bruise to yellows and browns as the blood chemicals gradually are metabolized and the hematoma resolves. Depending upon its location, the discolorations may travel through different tissue planes by gravity. For example, a forehead hematoma may cause bruising beneath the eyes and seem to travel to the neck as it resolves over time.

Intracranial, epidural, subdural, and intracerebral hematomas often need neurosurgical intervention to stabilize the injury.

Return to Hematoma

Comment from: cxstich22, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 30

After falling on cement on my forehead in my garage, I've been having bad headaches and ringing in my ears. I've been taking pain pills.

Comment from: Ga2615, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Last week, while giving platelets at the Red Cross, the needle came partially out of the vein. It was out for some time before I felt a lot of pain. When it was checked, I had a large hematoma, about the size of a baseball by my elbow and the fluid had filled all the way up to my arm pit. I put heat on it the first day and elevated the arm. The second day I used a heat pad several times. Today it is still very sore and swollen and a dark purple from my bicep to my forearm.