Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

What is a brain aneurysm and what causes a brain aneurysm?

The Circle of Willis is the junction of the four many arteries, two carotid arteries and two vertebral arteries, that supply the brain with nutrition (especially oxygen and glucose). This loop of arteries is located at the base of the brain and sends out smaller branch arteries to all parts of the brain. The junctions where these arteries come together may develop weak spots. These weak spots can balloon out and fill with blood, creating the outpouchings of blood vessels known as aneurysms. These sac-like areas may leak or rupture, spilling blood into surrounding brain tissue.

Aneurysms have a variety of causes including high blood pressure and atherosclerosis, trauma, heredity, and abnormal blood flow at the junction where arteries come together.

There are other rare causes of aneurysms. Mycotic aneurysms are caused by infections of the artery wall. Tumors and trauma can also cause aneurysms to form. Drug abuse, especially cocaine, can cause the artery walls to inflame and weaken.

Brain aneurysms are a common occurrence. At autopsy, incidental aneurysms that have never caused any symptoms or issues are found in more than 1% of people. Most aneurysms remain small and are never diagnosed. Some, however, may gradually become larger and exert pressure on surrounding brain tissue and nerves and may be diagnosed because of stroke-like symptoms including:

• headache,
  • numbness, or weakness of one side of the face,
  • a dilated pupil, or
  • change in vision.

The greater concern is a brain aneurysm that leaks or ruptures, and potentially causes stroke or death. Blood may leak into one of the membranes (meninges) that covers the brain and spinal canal and is known as a subarachnoid hemorrhage (sub= beneath + arachnoid=one of the brain coverings + hemorrhage=bleeding).

Return to Aneurysm (Brain)

Comment from: lesley w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

June 8, 2015 we were on a family holiday when we stopped for a coffee. I picked up my 15 month old granddaughter when I felt a pop on the right side of my head. I put her down as dizziness, blurred vision and the worst headache of my life engulfed me. As I had a stiff neck and numbness down my right side I believed I had a pinched nerve so took painkillers and as I didn't want to spoil the trip for my family we carried on. No amount of painkillers helped my head and I had trouble with my eyes and felt dizzy all the time. I don't remember much about the holiday and on our return I went to my chiropractor. He refused to treat me and insisted I go to the hospital immediately. After CAT scans I was told I had 3 aneurysms and was transferred to a major hospital where I was examined by an angiogram the next day. They coiled 2 of the aneurysms that day and clipped the third the following day as it was quite large and had a large neck, and it had also ruptured. I have had several seizures since and still have 2 smaller aneurysms that are being monitored. Although I know I'm lucky to be alive I still struggle with day to day life, I'm unable to drive and feel fatigued most of the time. I am fearful the 2 remaining aneurysms will require treatment. I have improved over the last 6 months and I'm trying to stay positive I will make a full recovery.

Comment from: Marine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

November 2012, I was 45 years old with a responsible job, at the peak of my career and studies, when I suffered a brain bleed, later known to me as a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was at gym when it happened and it felt as if someone made fire in my brain. I felt the moisture running in my brain for a few split seconds and I thought I was going to die. I lost consciousness, my speech and was paralyzed for e few hours. Luckily for me I was taken to hospital very soon and a week later underwent open brain surgery followed by a cerebral angiogram 3 months later to coil the other 2 brain aneurisms I had. Today I realize how lucky I am to be alive. I kept my job but it was not easy. I have no visible damage but the emotional damage was overwhelming and I lost a lot of confidence. My short term memory was almost non-existent. Three years down the line I am much better and so grateful that I got a second chance. I look at life differently, appreciate things more and am much more tolerant.