Radiculopathy - Experience

Please describe your experience with radiculopathy.

What is radiculopathy?

Radiculopathy is a condition due to a compressed nerve in the spine that can cause pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness along the course of the nerve. Radiculopathy can occur in any part of the spine, but it is most common in the lower back (lumbar radiculopathy) and in the neck (cervical radiculopathy). It is less commonly found in the middle portion of the spine (thoracic radiculopathy).

Return to Radiculopathy

Comment from: Melanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I"ve been dealing with pain running from my left buttocks down my leg through to my toes. I am now left with the burning, stinging and pains shooting through my toes. They did x-rays, CT scans and 2 different MRIs and nothing showed on any of the tests. One doctor diagnosed me with radiculopathy, one doctor diagnosed me with piriformis syndrome and one doctor diagnosed me with neuropathy. None of the medicines they have given me have worked. It"s now 6 weeks that I"ve been having this problem. They have even done an epidural steroid injection in my spine at L4 and L5. I"m still suffering with the same thing. It seems like no one knows what it is. They just keep prescribing me medications that don"t work and telling me they can"t give me anything else. I can"t walk or stand for long periods of time. I can"t even go grocery shopping. My life is nothing now. I can"t socialize and I can barely work since I constantly have shooting pains through my toes. I guess my life is over at a young age of 50.

Comment from: Anthony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

My problems of radiculopathy is muscle spasms in the upper inner thighs that when I sit it feels like I'm sitting on a lump where the prostate is. I also experience pain shooting down my legs, but mostly the inner upper thighs, it's an ongoing muscle spasm from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep. It has also affected me emotionally due to not knowing when it will be all over with. It really has consumed my life, that all I focus on is the muscle spasms all the time.