Leukemia - Symptoms

What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?

Please select the white circle:

What are leukemia symptoms and signs?

The symptoms and signs of leukemia depend upon the type of leukemia. As stated earlier, slow-growing or chronic leukemia may not cause any symptoms at the outset, while aggressive or rapidly growing leukemia may lead to severe symptoms. The symptoms of leukemia arise from a loss of function of the normal blood cells or from accumulation of the abnormal cells in the body.

Signs and symptoms of leukemia typically include the following:

• Fevers
  • Night sweats
  • Swollen lymph nodes that are usually painless
  • Feelings of fatigue, tiredness
  • Easy bleeding or bruising, causing bluish or purplish patches on the skin or tiny red spots on the skin, or recurring nosebleeds
  • Frequent infections
  • Bone or joint pain
  • Weight loss that is otherwise unexplained, or loss of appetite
  • Enlargement of the spleen or liver, which can lead to abdominal pain or swelling
  • Red spots on the skin (petechiae)

If leukemia cells have infiltrated the brain, symptoms such as headaches, seizures, confusion, loss of muscle control, and vomiting can occur.

Return to Leukemia

Comment from: scorpioness, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I"ve been having night sweats the last few months. I've been getting very tired very easy and have constant headaches. The doctors tested my blood and discovered my WBC count is slightly high. I'm awaiting more tests to see if it's a confirmation of leukemia.

Comment from: cancerdude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I am twenty and diagnosed with ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) and AML (acute myeloid leukemia). At first I started fainting frequently and I was diagnosed with syncope. My lymph nodes in my neck would get swollen once in a while and I had bad joint pain in my ankles. At one point I had an abscess. I didn't think anything of it so I just waited out the symptoms and they eventually disappeared. A few months later I went for a checkup and my doctor diagnosed me with anemia and wanted more tests done. Five rounds of chemotherapy later I am in remission and heading to transplant. All I can say is if you're diagnosed with leukemia, trust your doctors and keep your hope up and stay as active as possible.