Iritis - Causes

What caused your iritis?

Please select the white circle:

What causes iritis?

An infection of the eye or inflammation from trauma may cause iritis. Iritis may also be a complication of many diseases such as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, and collagen vascular diseases such as lupus. Iritis may occur with herpes simplex of the eye and after eye surgery. Iritis related to juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is especially dangerous and may not respond well to treatment, leading to serious eye damage. In children with arthritis, pain from iritis is often absent. Because of this, "simple" red eyes in these children should not be ignored. Iritis is not contagious. Iritis may occur in one or both eyes. In a large proportion of cases, no cause can be found, particularly if it is a new and isolated symptom. Recurrent or bilateral episodes are much more likely to be significant.

Return to Iritis

Comment from: JJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My iritis occurred in Aug of 2010. With no previous family history of this condition and no systemic health issues per tests, I've concluded that stress was the initial cause as I have high myopia which may be the weak point in my body (non-scientific analysis). My iritis would keep reoccurring almost monthly once I was off steroids and I was labelled a "recurrent" patient. To make a long story short, iritis has not reoccurred (knock on wood) since I've been taking blueberries, now 2 blueberry concentrate capsules daily.

Comment from: Jayne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have a number of food intolerances - gluten, egg, milk, and soya. If I consume any of these foods, within 4 hours I have a flare up. Avoiding these foods I can control my condition. I first had iritis 3 years ago following a facial treatment at a beauty salon where they used non-disposable towels on my eyes. I wonder if infection is the root cause. I have ankylosing spondylitis, antibacterial infection has been linked to this condition.