Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis.

What is iritis?

Iritis is an inflammatory condition of the colored portion (the iris which surrounds the pupil) of the eye. It causes varying degrees of redness of the eye, often with significant pain, sensitivity to light, tearing, and blurred vision.

Iritis is the name commonly used for an internal inflamation of the eye. More properly it is called anterior uveitis. The uvea is the collective name for the pigmented portions of the interntal eye and includes the iris, the ciliary body and the choroid. When an inflammation affects primarily the iris and ciliary body it is often called iritis. The iris is the part of the eye which is visible in the mirror and gives the eye its color, usually blue or brown. The pupil is the opening in the iris through which light passes.

Return to Iritis

Comment from: Iritis2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was diagnosed with iritis in my left eye at 38. The next time was both eyes which they said was rare. My symptoms were pain if I touched my eye and a little blurry vision. I have had glasses for 40 years and am very picky about my vision. I get new glasses at least every 2 years the smallest change bothers me. I got the drops to dilate my pupil and as the doctor told me my eye is a muscle and the pupil dilates in dark gets smaller in light, therefore keeping it dilated is like putting a cast or sling on to stop movement of your muscle to let it heal. I did have a test for rheumatoid arthritis (it was negative), because my hands were falling asleep at night and very painful when I woke, or sometimes drying my hair it would happen. It hasn't happened again for ten years, now just cataract in left eye.

Comment from: Daraz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am on my 3rd bout of Iritis. I caught this one very early and my eye doctor placed me on a strong steroid during the last bout, and that was the worst! My symptoms are redness and pain when touching my eyelid. I actually have a high pain tolerance, so the first two times I delayed treatment. This time I knew the signs and went straight in for treatment. I have confidence this episode will resolve quickly. I am most worried because now I require work up for autoimmune disease. My mother has two of these diseases and I had hoped (and still do) that my iritis is a fluke. The worst part about it is walking around with one eye dilated. I'm in healthcare and not only do I look like a freak, but everyone thinks I'm having a stroke!