Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis.

Please select the black square:

What is iritis?

Iritis is an inflammatory condition of the colored portion (the iris which surrounds the pupil) of the eye. It causes varying degrees of redness of the eye, often with significant pain, sensitivity to light, tearing, and blurred vision.

Iritis is the name commonly used for an internal inflamation of the eye. More properly it is called anterior uveitis. The uvea is the collective name for the pigmented portions of the interntal eye and includes the iris, the ciliary body and the choroid. When an inflammation affects primarily the iris and ciliary body it is often called iritis. The iris is the part of the eye which is visible in the mirror and gives the eye its color, usually blue or brown. The pupil is the opening in the iris through which light passes.

Return to Iritis

Comment from: Clare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had iritis twice in the same eye. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and I know it is connected to that. It left some damage to my eye some 10 years ago. The first time I had it a white film came over my eye and it came on overnight. On this occasion there has been no white film, just blurred vision. I have been given drops for a two week period. I hope within the two weeks it clears up. I will be back at the hospital in three weeks. The first time I had it, it went as quick as it came once treated.

Comment from: clearwatercrusher, Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I think my iritis was caused by getting something in my eye. I went to the doctor two days later and he prescribed me sulphacetamide which is an antibiotic eye drops. This also could have caused it. Then two days later I went to my eye doctor and found that I had iritis. He is treating it with steroid drops every hour and a pupil enlargement drug three times a day, to break the pupil loose from its fixed position. It broke most of it loose but the pupil is still stuck in spot. Now he has prescribed me a stronger dilating drug.