Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis.

What is iritis?

Iritis is an inflammatory condition of the colored portion (the iris which surrounds the pupil) of the eye. It causes varying degrees of redness of the eye, often with significant pain, sensitivity to light, tearing, and blurred vision.

Iritis is the name commonly used for an internal inflamation of the eye. More properly it is called anterior uveitis. The uvea is the collective name for the pigmented portions of the interntal eye and includes the iris, the ciliary body and the choroid. When an inflammation affects primarily the iris and ciliary body it is often called iritis. The iris is the part of the eye which is visible in the mirror and gives the eye its color, usually blue or brown. The pupil is the opening in the iris through which light passes.

Return to Iritis

Comment from: Meeting Place, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have severe redness of the eye, itching, and some very sharp pain. I had a cataract removed two weeks ago, and I was told last week I now have iritis. I also have sensitivity to light. On a bright sunny day I can hardly stand for the light to hit my eye, and the same with the lamp or electric lights in the house.

Comment from: Relieved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I thought I had something in my eye and the next day it got worse from the flashes of a camera. I took out my contact lenses and my eye was so red and so sensitive to the light and gave me the worst headache. I went to the doctor the next day she said it was an abrasion. I got some eye drops, felt a little relief, went outside for a minute and my eye was in so much pain again and I got a headache. Finally I went to the emergency room and they sent me to the specialist and it was iritis and uveitis (no abrasion). I have to keep my eyes dilated for a couple of days and use prednisone acetate drops every hour I"m awake. I also did some blood work I have a follow up in two days this has been the worst pain of my life!