Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis.

What is iritis?

Iritis is an inflammatory condition of the colored portion (the iris which surrounds the pupil) of the eye. It causes varying degrees of redness of the eye, often with significant pain, sensitivity to light, tearing, and blurred vision.

Iritis is the name commonly used for an internal inflamation of the eye. More properly it is called anterior uveitis. The uvea is the collective name for the pigmented portions of the interntal eye and includes the iris, the ciliary body and the choroid. When an inflammation affects primarily the iris and ciliary body it is often called iritis. The iris is the part of the eye which is visible in the mirror and gives the eye its color, usually blue or brown. The pupil is the opening in the iris through which light passes.

Return to Iritis

Comment from: ARIM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I've now been living with chronic iritis for almost 30 years. I'm not blind since taking care of this illness into my own hands and working out the best treatment with both medical and alternative practitioners. The doctors caused me major problems with their steroid and pressure drops. A 3 months program of killing the iritis cells and getting off the drugs now works very well.

Comment from: Arlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with Iritis of the eye after being seen in the emergency room with sharp shooting pains in the eye which was red, watering and so sensitive to light that I could not stand it. I was being treated for conjunctivitis, with a follow up in 2 days. I did get some relief, but then was referred to an ophthalmologist and got the right diagnosis, now I am on steroid drops plus a drop for dilating the pupil.

Stay Informed!