Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis.

What is iritis?

Iritis is an inflammatory condition of the colored portion (the iris which surrounds the pupil) of the eye. It causes varying degrees of redness of the eye, often with significant pain, sensitivity to light, tearing, and blurred vision.

Iritis is the name commonly used for an internal inflamation of the eye. More properly it is called anterior uveitis. The uvea is the collective name for the pigmented portions of the interntal eye and includes the iris, the ciliary body and the choroid. When an inflammation affects primarily the iris and ciliary body it is often called iritis. The iris is the part of the eye which is visible in the mirror and gives the eye its color, usually blue or brown. The pupil is the opening in the iris through which light passes.

Return to Iritis

Comment from: Daraz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am on my 3rd bout of Iritis. I caught this one very early and my eye doctor placed me on a strong steroid during the last bout, and that was the worst! My symptoms are redness and pain when touching my eyelid. I actually have a high pain tolerance, so the first two times I delayed treatment. This time I knew the signs and went straight in for treatment. I have confidence this episode will resolve quickly. I am most worried because now I require work up for autoimmune disease. My mother has two of these diseases and I had hoped (and still do) that my iritis is a fluke. The worst part about it is walking around with one eye dilated. I'm in healthcare and not only do I look like a freak, but everyone thinks I'm having a stroke!

Comment from: peace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was 10 years old when I had started going to ophthalmologist and was told that I will be very sensitive to light, and needed to be followed by ophthalmologist. After so many health issues that health professionals puzzled over the years, an ophthalmologist wrote a letter to medical doctors about the importance of diagnosing me as soon as possible, if not, that I may lose my sight. He said it looks like it is some autoimmune system issue. This week same ophthalmologist has diagnosed me with iritis. I am 52 now, and have been through a lot. He called my rheumatologist and told her his diagnosis which may help in diagnosing the main issue. They have known it some autoimmune problem but all these years doesnt show up on test.