Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia) - Signs

Please describe signs and symptoms of face blindness in someone you know.

Please select the white circle:

What is prosopagnosia?

Prosopagnosia is a neurological disorder characterized by the inability to recognize faces. Prosopagnosia is also known as face blindness or facial agnosia. The term prosopagnosia comes from the Greek words for face and lack of knowledge. Depending upon the degree of impairment, some people with prosopagnosia may only have difficulty recognizing a familiar face; others will be unable to discriminate between unknown faces, while still others may not even be able to distinguish a face as being different from an object. Some people with the disorder are unable to recognize their own face. Prosopagnosia is not related to memory dysfunction, memory loss, impaired vision, or learning disabilities. Prosopagnosia is thought to be the result of abnormalities, damage, or impairment in the right fusiform gyrus, a fold in the brain that appears to coordinate the neural systems that control facial perception and memory. Prosopagnosia can result from stroke, traumatic brain injury, or certain neurodegenerative diseases. In some cases it is a congenital disorder, present at birth in the absence of any brain damage. Congenital prosopagnosia appears to run in families, which makes it likely to be the result of a genetic mutation or deletion. Some degree of prosopagnosia is often present in children with autism and Asperger's syndrome, and may be the cause of their impaired social development.

Return to Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia)

Comment from: shahin, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 18

I have discovered recently that i cannot recognize a face. I have to look at the person several times before i can put them in my memory. I feel embarrassed sometimes.

Comment from: Kati, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had 2 temporal lobe strokes, 1 each side in 1999. As payroll clerk, I couldn't keep workers' faces straight; I paid the wrong guy with another's pay. I did not recognize my client at my daughter's wedding (my client for 2 years at that time). It is terribly hard to be bookkeeper, keep accounts/receivable and accounts/payable people straight. I don't work now, that was the final straw. Now I always ask people who they are up front immediately. I still don't recognize faces, even my live-in daughter sometimes. Movie 'Faces in the crowd' and Brad Pitt article clued me in to what is wrong. Hope the future holds some remedy.