Thymoma - Diagnosis

Please describe how thymoma was diagnosed.

Please select the white circle:

How is thymoma diagnosed?

If a thymoma is not causing symptoms, it is sometimes identified incidentally, meaning it is found on an imaging test of the chest (for example, X-ray, computerized tomography or CT scan) that is performed for another reason. If symptoms are present, chest X-rays or other imaging studies, such as CT scans or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans, are typically carried out to identify the source of the symptoms. While a mass in the anterior mediastinum can be seen on imaging studies, the definitive diagnosis can only be established when the mass is either removed surgically and examined by a pathologist or when a biopsy (surgical removal of a small portion of tissue for diagnostic purposes) is taken. Microscopic examination of the tumor tissue is necessary to confirm the diagnosis of thymoma or thymic carcinoma.

Return to Thymoma

Comment from: Barbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

After being diagnosed with myasthenia gravis I was given a CT scan, that's when they discovered the mass of thymoma.

Comment from: Strudel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Ten years ago after an x-ray for chest pain they discovered I had a calcified thymus which was benign so they decided to do nothing. Then 2 years ago I had oral thrush that would not respond to treatment, and my doctor thought there might be a link to the thymus and sent me for an x-ray and it showed that the thymoma had invaded my lungs, superior vena cava and phrenic nerve. It has since been removed and I had radiotherapy. I still have to take medication for oral thrush.