Brain Damage - Causes

Please describe the cause of brain damage for you, a friend, or family member.

What causes brain damage?

When the brain is starved of oxygen for a prolonged period of time, brain damage may occur. Brain damage can occur as a result of a wide range of injuries, illnesses, or conditions. Because of high-risk behaviors, males between the ages of 15 and 24 are most vulnerable. Young children and the elderly also have a higher risk.

Causes of traumatic brain injury include:

• car accidents
  • blows to the head
  • sports injuries
  • falls or accidents
  • physical violence

Causes of acquired brain injury include:

• poisoning or exposure to toxic substances
  • infection
  • strangulation, choking, or drowning
  • stroke
  • heart attacks
  • tumors
  • aneurysms
  • neurological illnesses
  • abuse of illegal drugs
Return to Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment

Comment from: canadagirl, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My mother is 92 and has had dementia for the last six years. This last eight weeks she has been losing her ability to talk (form words). I think it is because she barely speaks to anyone; therefore, she doesn't practice. She is in a retirement home and I visit every day, trying to get her lightly to speak and laugh and sing songs. When I phone her, the first two minutes are very frustrating for her. I don't know what this can be.

Comment from: shab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am diabetic since 10 years and I use pills for sugar. Recently I couldn't digest food and hence my sugar levels rose. I went to a gastroenterologist for checkup and the doctor told me that my heartbeat is irregular and asked me if there is a vibration in the nerves of my legs. I said yes; later I started developing vibrations in my brain and also my jaw is paining a little.