Scalp Psoriasis - Symptoms

Describe your symptoms of scalp psoriasis.

Please select the white circle:

What are scalp psoriasis symptoms and signs?

Psoriasis appears as a small bump, a papule, surmounted by scale. When these papules coalesce, a plaque is formed that is often covered by thick layers of horny scale. When this scale is shed, it appears as dandruff, which can be quite unsightly. Scratching these plaques, either because of itching or because of the impulse to remove it, is a very poor idea because of what is called the Koebner phenomenon (also known as the Koebner response or isomorphic response). This may cause psoriasis to develop in areas of inflammation and trauma. Scratching off the scale will only make things worse. Occasionally, seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp can be confused with psoriasis since both can produce excess scale and can itch.

Return to Scalp Psoriasis

Comment from: Mother of 2, Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I just got diagnosed with scalp psoriasis on Monday, but I'm still baffled by it. Growing up, I just thought I had bad dandruff. When I was 14 years old is when I remembered that maybe this wasn't normal, but I wasn't normal, my home setting (water conditions) were not normal. So I just ignored it. Finally about a year ago my boyfriend said it was getting bad, behind my ears even. So I asked my doctor. We tried different shampoos and drops but nothing was helping. Finally she sent me to a dermatologist. It took her about 30 seconds to name my problem. It turns out my mother and grandmother have it too. If I would've stood up when I was younger, I probably would've had less teasing and stress about my dandruff. Now I can start treatments, and hopefully get it under control.

Comment from: Devon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I suddenly and out of nowhere started itching on my scalp. It's been torture with a constant itch and white flakes on my clothes. Now it's in my ear and all the itching is on my left side including my left ear. I went to the dermatologist and she said I have scalp psoriasis and gave me Topicort spray and oh, I was so happy because within 3 days it was all gone, the itching and everything but then I developed these bumps on my scalp and it hurt to the touch. I called my doctor and she said I was having a steroid induced reaction from the medicine and put me on antibiotics. Well great, she calls me in for another medicine and it is 188.00 dollars that I don't have, so I'm still losing my mind and have tried everything from coconut oil to mineral oil to everything. The only thing that helps stop the itching temporarily is the Scalpicin liquid but it burns so bad when I put in on.