Scalp Psoriasis - Symptoms

Describe your symptoms of scalp psoriasis.

What are scalp psoriasis symptoms and signs?

As mentioned above, psoriasis appears as a small bump, a papule, surmounted by scale. When these papules combine, a plaque is formed that is covered by excessive layers of horny skin that is perceived as a silvery scale. This scale is shed and appears as dandruff. The scale and its shedding can be quite profuse and unsightly. Scratching these plaques, either because of itching or because of the impulse to remove it, is a very poor idea because of what is called the Koebner phenomenon (also known as the Koebner response or isomorphic response). This is a peculiar predisposition of psoriasis to develop in areas of trauma. Scratching off the scale will only make things worse. Occasionally, seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp can be confused with psoriasis since both can produce excess scale and can itch.

Return to Scalp Psoriasis

Comment from: Jbell, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 11

With scalp psoriasis I have severe itching, scaling, redness, flakes and throbbing.

Comment from: hair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had what I thought was a pimple on scalp that just continually got worse. It started when I was 21 years old now I am 35. I never had it before but used to work with a lady who had it everywhere. The psoriasis is only on my scalp and at least 2 inches across. I got it looked at when I was pregnant, they said it was scalp psoriasis and proceeded to do nothing else to help condition.