Actinic Keratosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with actinic keratosis.

Please select the black square:

What is an actinic keratosis, and what does it look like?

An actinic keratosis (AK), also known as a solar keratosis, is a small, rough spot occurring on skin that has been chronically exposed to the sun. Actinic keratoses generally measure in size between 2-6 millimeters in diameter (between the size of a pencil point and that of an eraser). They are usually reddish in color, with a rough texture and often have a white or yellowish scale on top. Actinic keratosis often occurs against a background of sun damage, including sallowness, wrinkles, and superficial blood vessels.

In addition to feeling rough, actinic keratoses may feel sore or painful when fingers or clothing rub against them.

Specialized forms of actinic keratoses include cutaneous horns, in which the skin protrudes in a thick, hornlike manner, and actinic cheilitis, which refers to scaling and roughness of the lower lip and blurring of the border of the lip and adjacent skin.

Return to Actinic Keratosis

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I spent many hot summers outside in Maryland as a child and never used any protection on my skin. Now that I am in my fifties I had an actinic keratosis on the center of my nose. I had it removed by my dermatologist and she told me to always put sunblock on my skin even when it is cloudy outside.

Comment from: GlynnFromOklahoma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have never ever been a person to get in the sun since I was a child. I have never had a bad sunburn. I am, however, very fair skinned and in the last 3 decades have had keratoacanthoma, squamous cell cancer, and now inflamed actinic keratoses. It"s a mystery to me how someone who takes extraordinary measures to keep out of the sun still continues to get these lesions of varying degrees. My father had an awful keratoacanthoma of his ear that required removing the entire top of his ear. But he was a farmer. He later died of lung cancer. I am not sure there is a connection but it certainly bears being vigilant about your skin and bringing new lesions to the attention of your medical provider.