Abdominal Migraines - Diagnosis

Describe the process that led to a diagnosis of abdominal migraines.

Please select the white circle:

How is abdominal migraine diagnosed?

Because of the frequent absence of headache, the condition can be difficult to diagnose, especially during the first episode. There is no specific test that can establish the diagnosis of abdominal migraine, so the diagnosis is based on exclusion of other conditions. Laboratory tests and imaging studies are usually directed to rule out other conditions that could be responsible for the symptoms. Electroencephalography (EEG) is sometimes done to rule out a seizure disorder as the cause of the symptoms.

Return to Abdominal Migraines in Children and Adults

Comment from: Jason, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been getting sick for two years now. I've been in the hospital three times this week. The longest I've been sick is two weeks. Every time it seems to be worse and last longer, and usually hits me when I wake up. They thought it was anxiety and I did too, it causes me anxiety. I always feel stressed out, I have been trying to change the way I see and do things. I am going to talk to my doctor soon and have a sleep study done. I'm still under the weather today, I have all the symptoms of abdominal migraines.

Comment from: Lane's mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

We went through a long, painful two years of my daughter having stomach pain, then she would refuse to eat and sometimes throw up. She would be pale and lethargic. She lost 10 lb. in two weeks. We have been to the emergency room (ER) twice, scans, scopes, many doctors including two specialists, with incorrect diagnosis. I kept bugging the doctors until I got a diagnosis that sounded like what was wrong with her. I seriously thought they made up 'abdominal migraines'! Thank goodness we finally got answers. We still get people who think we made up the diagnosis. I have suffered from migraines since 2006. We stay away from nitrates and MSG, gluten and fake sugar and she has not had another episode.