Abdominal Migraines - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of abdominal migraines for you or your child?

What are the symptoms of abdominal migraine?

As mentioned, abdominal migraine causes pain in the abdomen that can be severe and debilitating. It is typically located in the middle portion of the belly, often around the umbilicus. Cramping, nausea, and vomiting can accompany the pain. Pallor (paleness) of the skin is often observed. There may not be associated headache. The symptoms are usually relieved by sleep and can last anywhere from one hour to several days.

Return to Abdominal Migraines in Children and Adults

Comment from: LISA, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My son, 5 and daughter 8, both suffer from abdominal migraines. My daughter's migraines are usually brought on by stress or excitement, for example before a school event/excursion. She will moan, have a sore belly button, vomit, and then sleep. She will be pale and lethargic. With my son however we are still trying to figure out his trigger. His behavior is similar to my daughter's, however he seems clammier but if his temperature is not up, he also may not vomit. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Melba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have suffered from tummy troubles since high school. Test after test, no answers. Finally I had my gallbladder removed, no relief. It starts with belching and a foul rotten egg taste, followed by extreme abdominal pain with vomiting and diarrhea. It can last from one hour, to the longest of a few days. Our 12 year old was having the same issues and her gastrointestinal doctor said it was abdominal migraines. He called my gastroenterologist and finally I have a name for it. We both take Imitrex on the onset of symptoms, it usually helps with one dose. It doesn't prevent, but it does help the pain!