Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Please select the white circle:

What is roseola?

Roseola is a mild illness caused by either one of two viruses. Characteristically, roseola has a sudden onset and relatively short duration. Roseola is most common in children 6-24 months of age, with the average age around 9 months. Less frequently, older children, teens, and (rarely) adults may be infected.

Picture of the roseola rash; SOURCE: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. Klaus Wolff, Lowell A. Goldsmith, Stephen I. Katz, Barbara A. Gilchrest, Amy S. Paller, David J. Leffell. Seventh Edition. Copyright 2008, 2005, 2001, 1997, 1993 by The McGraw-Hill Companies. All rights reserved.
Return to Roseola

Comment from: me@35, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 35 year old female, who developed roseola as a child. I have had numerous episodes of it growing up and still to this day get it. As I have gotten older the rash is not bad at all, I just get it on my upper body. I never paid any mind to a fever, so I can't say if I had one beforehand or not. Other than this I must say I'm a pretty healthy adult, and the outbreak only happens every so many years. I hope this may help someone.

Comment from: 3/20/14, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My daughter is 10 months old and had diarrhea, fussiness, and a fever of 103.6 for 5 days. She started out with a small rash on her chest, which her doctor attributed to teething. By the fifth day her fever broke (cool cloth and Tylenol), and on the sixth day we woke up to a rash on her tummy, chest, neck and face. We took her to the doctor and they said it was roseola. The next day she had a rash on her entire body including palms of hands and bottoms of feet. We took her to the emergency room and they said she has an extreme case of roseola. The rash went away over the weekend with just remnants of the rash left. Then on Sunday the rash started to appear again, now it's Monday and it's back full force. I am trying to get her in to see her doctor. She does seem more tired than usual.