Optic Neuritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with optic neuritis.

Please select the black triangle:

What is optic neuritis?

Optic neuritis is an inflammation that affects the myelin lining of the optic nerve, which transmits visual stimuli to the brain. The optic nerve is actually a nerve tract of axons that originate in the ganglion cells of the retina. Nerve tracts are the information pathways in the brain. The "optic nerves" are the only nerve tracts not located entirely within the brain. The optic nerves carry visual information from the retina to the brain stem, where the information is relayed to the area of the brain that recognizes vision (the occipital cortex).

Optic neuritis can occur in children or adults and may involve either one or both optic nerves. Optic neuritis typically affects young adults ranging from 20 to 40 years of age. There is a strong female predominance. The annual incidence is approximately 6.4/100,000.

Return to Optic Neuritis

Comment from: Darla, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My daughter is having eye pain. She had sinus surgery due to strep infection. They thought it was causing pressure on the optic nerve. After 2 weeks, she is still having eye pain. Vision in her left eye has not returned. Question is whether the sinuses can cause this, or she may have another problem. After (6) doctors" opinions, we are at a loss and so are they. I believe she does have optic neuritis as one doctor mentioned. We don"t know where to take her to verify this!

Comment from: Bryan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I woke up one morning with loss of vision and pain in my left eye. I"m a 46 year old male. I went to the eye doctor who diagnosed me with optic neuritis (ON). I also had other sensation issues such as slight sensation loss in my legs and my face. I went to the neurologist who gave me an MRI and found 20 to 30 lesions on my brain. Diagnosis: multiple sclerosis. After a week of IV methapred drug, I have had no new symptoms. I"m now on a pill that is supposed to reduce the number of attacks. The long term prognosis is I should live a long life but I"m to expect my brain to turn to tapioca pudding over that period. And to think, I just finished my doctorate degree.