Diabetes and Foot Problems - Symptoms

What symptoms and problems have you experienced with your feet due to diabetes?

What are examples and symptoms of foot problems caused by diabetes?

In the most severe case, as mentioned above, due to a combination of decreased sensation and reduced blood flow to the feet, ulcers may develop. If the tissues continue to receive insufficient oxygen, tissue death (gangrene) occurs. Gangrene is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition. Other potentially serious problems that may develop include cellulitis and osteomyelitis; sepsis is also possible.

People with diabetes are at increased risk for milder problems with the feet that are not specific to diabetes but may occur more frequently due to problems with the nerves and circulation to the feet.

Some of these conditions are:

• Calluses and corns, that may develop due to abnormal alignment of the feet or abnormal gait
  • Fungal infections of the nails, which can appear as thickened, discolored, and at times brittle nails
  • Tinea pedis, or athlete's foot, a fungal infection of the skin of the feet
  • Hammertoes, or bent toes due to muscle weakness.
  • Bunions, or the angling of the big toe toward the second toe. The area of the bunion may become reddened and irritated, leading to callus formation.
  • Ingrown toenails
  • Cracking of the skin of the feet, especially the heels, due to dry skin
Return to Diabetes and Foot Problems

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a type 1 diabetic which was triggered by hormones due to excessive bleeding and I had to get a hysterectomy. My sugar levels remain high though I take insulin. I have pains in my feet and legs. My thigh bones feel as if they are hurting as I walk.

Comment from: Ferg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am type 2 diabetic and the other day I was taking down the steps a piece of wood flooring and it slipped and hit my ankle. My ankle hurt right away and swelled. It seemed to get better. Now almost a week later, my foot and ankle are swollen and black and blue. I see the doctor in two days.