Vaginal Pain and Vulvodynia - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been helpful in relieving your vaginal pain and vulvodynia?

Please select the black square:

Home remedies for vaginal pain and vulvodynia

Home remedies and self-care measures for vulvodynia can bring relief for many women. Some self-care measures to relieve the pain of vulvodynia include:

• Rinsing the area with cool water, particularly after urination and sexual activity
  • Soaking in cool or warm sitz baths
  • Using topical ice packs wrapped in a towel
  • Heating pad use, in contrast, may help some women
  • Using mild, unscented soaps and detergent
  • Using white, unscented toilet tissue
  • Wearing white cotton underwear
  • Wearing loose-fitting clothing and avoiding stockings or pantyhose
  • Avoiding pools or hot tubs with chlorinated water
  • Using a water-soluble lubricant during sexual intercourse
  • Avoiding activities such as bicycling, that put pressure on the vulvar area
  • Keeping the vulvar area dry and clean
  • Avoiding food that can make the urine more irritating to the skin of the genital area. These foods include beans, berries, nuts, and chocolate
  • Over-the-counter antihistamines can help reduce itching, particularly at night
Return to Vaginal Pain

Comment from: Vivienne, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had back pain which also included the groin area. I at the same time started an Itch. I was given cortisone cream, no help. I was sent to 3 different women"s hospitals, each with women"s disorders clinics. Then I was given a new doctor at my medical center. She sent me to the head gynecologist in the obstetrics department. (I am 72!) It worked. No scented gels, creams or lotions; hypoallergenic toilet paper and standing or lying sometimes to watch television.

Comment from: Shelynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I"ve had vulvodynia pain, off and on, for about as long as I can remember (30 years? I"m 49 now). I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia in "91 by two doctors (in case there"s a connection). I never knew what was causing this extreme itching and cutting pain in my labia, which stings most when I introduce any liquid to the area, but the symptoms of vulvodynia seem to fit best. I got so desperate the other night (waiting for obstetrician/gynecologist appointment) that I applied the kind of lidocaine with aloe that I use for sunburn. This helps some, as long as I put just a very thin layer on and only on the spots that are most painful. I"m looking for a better solution, however.