Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your PMDD?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of PMDD?

Symptoms of PMS and PMDD can be similar but are more intense and debilitating in PMDD. The symptoms of PMDD also may vary among affected women. Some of the most commonly reported symptoms include:

• fatigue,
  • irritability,
  • depression,
  • increased appetite,
  • acne,
  • oversensitivity to environmental stimuli,
  • hot flashes,
  • heart palpitations,
  • easy crying,
  • difficulty concentrating,
  • dizziness,
  • sleeplessness,
  • forgetfulness, and
  • gastrointestinal (stomach, bowel) upset.

PMDD symptoms are related to the menstrual cycle, typically occurring in the second half (luteal phase) of the cycle, and resolving within the first few days after the menstrual period has begun.

Return to Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have shown symptoms of PMDD since my teen years but in retrospect they were nonexistent whenever I was using birth control pills. Now being over 35 and a smoker I'm unable to use the pill and the symptoms have been with me for years and growing steadily worse. I started taking an antidepressant 2 months ago which has helped and just a few days ago I had the IUD Mirena inserted. Since PMDD seems to be a condition which is related to the balance between hormones and brain chemicals, my doctor and I are hopeful that controlling the balance with both the progesterone and antidepressant will help treat my symptoms. My worst symptoms are crying jags with rapid mood swings into unjustifiable anger or rage, anxiety, depression, lethargy and confusion. My work relationships with coworkers has been severely affected by my PMDD.

Comment from: Ollie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) a year ago. But I knew something was wrong since my teen years. I get this uncontrollable anger, migraines, and feeling of hopelessness. Some months are ok and others are a struggle. First few days of my period are terrible, I just want to be alone. By the third day I'm fine. My boyfriend doesn't know how to deal with it, and I am not good with taking fluoxetine every day.

Stay Informed!