Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your PMDD?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of PMDD?

Symptoms of PMS and PMDD can be similar but are more intense and debilitating in PMDD. The symptoms of PMDD also may vary among affected women. Some of the most commonly reported symptoms include:

• fatigue,
  • irritability,
  • depression,
  • increased appetite,
  • acne,
  • oversensitivity to environmental stimuli,
  • hot flashes,
  • heart palpitations,
  • easy crying,
  • difficulty concentrating,
  • dizziness,
  • sleeplessness,
  • forgetfulness, and
  • gastrointestinal (stomach, bowel) upset.

PMDD symptoms are related to the menstrual cycle, typically occurring in the second half (luteal phase) of the cycle, and resolving within the first few days after the menstrual period has begun.

Return to Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)

Comment from: Ollie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) a year ago. But I knew something was wrong since my teen years. I get this uncontrollable anger, migraines, and feeling of hopelessness. Some months are ok and others are a struggle. First few days of my period are terrible, I just want to be alone. By the third day I'm fine. My boyfriend doesn't know how to deal with it, and I am not good with taking fluoxetine every day.

Comment from: KAYLEE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I started noticing the symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) 1.5 years after the birth of my twins. I had intense mood swings, rage, frustration, swelling, bloating back to a pregnant state, migraines, depression, sadness, intense fatigue, I would burn food, disorientation, dizziness, impatience, outbursts, low energy, and low sex drive. Since second month I am taking natural bio-identical progesterone which helps symptoms. I was so grateful when I discovered it was PMDD, thought I was going dilly, people were saying it was in my head. When I started to calendar my symptoms it was a huge help to see exactly what was going on. Ovulation is also a tough time where the symptoms return. Supplementing and monitoring vitamin D levels also make a difference.