Gynecomastia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your gynecomastia?

What are the symptoms of gynecomastia?

The primary symptom of gynecomastia is enlargement of the male breasts. As mentioned before, gynecomastia is the enlargement of glandular tissue rather than fatty tissue. It is typically symmetrical in location with regard to the nipple and may have a rubbery or firm feel. Gynecomastia usually occurs on both sides but can be unilateral in some cases. The enlargement may be greater on one side even if both sides are involved. Tenderness and sensitivity may be present, although there is typically no severe pain.

The most important distinction with gynecomastia is differentiation from male breast cancer, which accounts for about 1% of overall cases of breast cancer. Cancer is usually confined to one side, is not necessarily centered around the nipple, feels hard or firm, and can be associated with dimpling of the skin, retraction of the nipple, nipple discharge, and enlargement of the underarm (axillary) lymph nodes.

Return to Gynecomastia

Comment from: Concerned mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

I have a brilliant, loving 16 year old son. My son was recently diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Along with this, he's been really working on his diet and exercising. He's losing weight, unfortunately he still has large male breasts. It kills me to see him constantly pulling on his shirts so they're not form fitting, won't swim unless he has a T-shirt on, and his self-esteem is quickly decreasing. With school beginning, he dreads gym class. Thanks to all the above for sharing your stories.

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I am a 50 year old. I am over weight and have been all my life. You would suspect that I would have breasts (gynecomastia). My weight seems to be more located in the chest area. I have had all the name calling throughout both my youth and adult life. Summer is the worst time of year having to wear less and thinner clothing. I recall one summer about 4 years ago walking near my home, a young man said hey, you need a bra. I was so embarrassed. However as I have wanted to lose weight I put my appearance to one side and do go to the gym and swimming. Yes I am always the fattest one there but I am doing something about it. I have seen other men my size (weight) yet they do not have such large breasts. They are obvious no matter what I am wearing. I have asked about surgery but have been refused saying that I must lose at least 3 stones, I am presently 20 stones. I have lost some weight but my breasts have remained the same size.