Gynecomastia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your gynecomastia?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of gynecomastia?

The primary symptom of gynecomastia is enlargement of the male breasts. As mentioned before, gynecomastia is the enlargement of glandular tissue rather than fatty tissue. It is typically symmetrical in location with regard to the nipple and may have a rubbery or firm feel. Gynecomastia usually occurs on both sides but can be unilateral in some cases. The enlargement may be greater on one side even if both sides are involved. Tenderness and sensitivity may be present, although there is typically no severe pain.

The most important distinction with gynecomastia is differentiation from male breast cancer, which accounts for about 1% of overall cases of breast cancer. Cancer is usually confined to one side, is not necessarily centered around the nipple, feels hard or firm, and can be associated with dimpling of the skin, retraction of the nipple, nipple discharge, and enlargement of the underarm (axillary) lymph nodes.

Return to Gynecomastia

Comment from: swollen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have breasts that started with all the medications that I am on. It's so bad I have 2 wear bras. This is so hard to accept. This is causing a lot of stress. I am afraid of the knife.

Comment from: hotpot70, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I work out 3 times a week, noticed enlarged left breast with tenderness and some pain after work out on butterfly machine about 3 weeks ago. It was extremely tender, swelling, and painful under certain body movements, even taking deep breaths, it's painful. It got worse on a daily basis, I think it has peaked out. I will start medical treatment after doctor's diagnosis.

Stay Informed!