Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

What is the chondromalacia patella?

Chondromalacia patella is abnormal softening of the cartilage of the underside the kneecap (patella). It is a cause of pain in the front of the knee (anterior knee pain). Chondromalacia patella is one of the most common causes of chronic knee pain. Chondromalacia patella results from degeneration of cartilage due to poor alignment of the kneecap (patella) as it slides over the lower end of the thighbone (femur). This process is sometimes referred to as patellofemoral syndrome.

Return to Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)

Comment from: Kenyav, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I am 31 I have been dealing with chondromalacia patella for over a year. I have been to the doctor and hospitals because of the pain. I have had two injections and also weeks of therapy. None of that have seemed to work, the shots worked for a few weeks then they stopped working. I am getting surgery next month.

Comment from: JHawk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I started experiencing increased knee pain after playing softball in August. I am an avid player, and I am very familiar with the RICE method for sports injuries. After a month of RICE, my knee was not improving. I got an x-ray which was normal. I got an MRI, and I was told I have patellofemoral chondromalacia, as well as ganglion cysts. The doctor I saw did not give me very much information on treating this condition. It feels like a blowtorch is constantly running underneath my kneecap. The pain keeps me up at night. Ibuprofen, Aleve, and Advil are not effective in treating the pain. I wear a brace every day, and I have limited my more aggressive activities. This condition is already effecting my lifestyle, and I am not really sure where to go from here. I guess my next step is a second opinion.