Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Please select the black triangle:

What is the chondromalacia patella?

Chondromalacia patella is abnormal softening of the cartilage of the underside the kneecap (patella). It is a cause of pain in the front of the knee (anterior knee pain). Chondromalacia patella is one of the most common causes of chronic knee pain. Chondromalacia patella results from degeneration of cartilage due to poor alignment of the kneecap (patella) as it slides over the lower end of the thighbone (femur). This process is sometimes referred to as patellofemoral syndrome.

Return to Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)

Comment from: eryka4206, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I remember having knee pains as early as my teen years. It started getting worse in my twenties. I saw a doctor, she gave me NSAIDS and told me to ice my knees. They made my stomach cramp to the point where I could hardly stand it. A few years later I went to another doctor, who diagnosed me with chondromalacia patella (CP), told me to take Celebrex (pain is still there), and do physical therapy to correct it. I got stronger, but my knee pain didn"t get better. I got the lateral release done on my left knee. It felt better for maybe 6 months, now 8 years later, the pain in both my knees is horrible. I can"t live as a 30 year old should (now 32). I am so sad even thinking about the limitations I will have once I have kids. I don"t understand why there isn"t more treatments for us. We are in pain, nothing works, need to find something that does. I"m at my 4th doctor now and once again, they treat you like you are making up the extent of your pain and tell me physical therapy will fix me right up. I cringe, I cry, I"m in pain all the time. It used to just be walking up and down stairs. As I sit typing this, I"m in pain. My pain level is never below a 7. I was offered a knee realignment surgery but my second opinion doctor said not to do it. I"m wondering if I should. Well I"m back at it, fighting to be taken seriously. I would take knee replacement at this point, but I"m so young. I don"t think they will do it. Living with this much pain to no avail and no respect from doctors is depressing.

Comment from: acogirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

When I was 14 I sustained an injury to my right knee from rollerblading. I began seeing an orthopedist who diagnosed me with chondromalacia patella and sent me to physical therapy (PT). No success, I was still in a lot of pain. From there I attended 3 more rounds of PT (6 to 8 visits each round) over the next year or two, and still no pain relief. I began taking 2 Aleve twice daily, which I still take to this day. I saw a second orthopedist for a new opinion, and was told there was nothing he could do except PT and ibuprofen. Seven years later I"m in more pain than I"ve ever been and my primary care doctor is referring me back to the orthopedist. I"m still doing at home PT exercises and taking Aleve twice a day. It feels like glass is underneath my knee cap when I walk. The pain is excruciating. I can hardly walk at this point. I"m 21 years old and should not feel like this. I"m really hoping for some type of relief from this orthopedist. I"ll take anything at this point.