Sudden Infant Death Syndrome - Support and Coping

If your family experienced a loss due to SIDS, how were you able to cope?

Please select the white circle:

What support is available to parents who are coping with an infant loss due to SIDS?

Most areas within the United States have access to support services for families following a SIDS death. Each family's grief is unique. However, many families that have experienced SIDS have found it helpful to use the counseling resources that may be provided through public-health nursing agencies, local coroner, or medical examiner offices, or information and counseling programs based at many children's hospitals across the country.

Losing a child is a unique crisis for any family, especially when the child has died suddenly, unexpectedly, and for no apparent reason.

• Do not blame yourselves! Losing a child to SIDS is not your fault.
  • There are typically no warning signs or symptoms that you could have recognized or prevented.

Grieving is a normal process when dealing with the loss of a loved one. Family, friends, neighbors, workplace, or faith communities may all serve as sources of support. It is important to remember that you are not alone. There are formal support groups and counseling programs available to help you cope with your loss. For further information, you may contact these groups:

National Institute of Child Health & Human Development, NICHD/Back to Sleep Campaign
31 Center Drive, Room 2A32
Bethesda, MD 20892-2425
Phone: 800-370-2943
Fax: 301-496-7101

First Candle (SIDS Alliance)
2105 Laurel Bush Road, Suite 201
Bel Air, MD 21015
800-221-7437 (toll free)
410-653-8226

Association of SIDS and Infant Mortality Programs (a national network of SIDS support groups)

Minnesota Sudden Infant Death Center
2525 Chicago Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55404
612-813-6285
800-732-3812

National SUID/SIDS Resource Center
The Resource Center is funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau.
2115 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 601
Washington, DC 20007
866-866-7437 (toll free)

Return to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)

Comment from: AmandaFrost, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

On Jan. 13th 2014 the 2 month old daughter of a friend of mine passed away from SIDS. I have been friends with this girl for years. When I heard the news I was heartbroken. So, I have been using my voice for her to help spread the awareness of SIDS and letting her know that I am here for her.

Comment from: tina, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

I lost my precious daughter to SIDS 19 years ago. I was 24 when she passed on. I am now 43, and time really does heal wounds and the pain. I was able to cope due to my faith, believing in afterlife, and believing there is a reason things happen that we sometimes just don't understand but maybe we will one day. My family and friends also got me through. Her name was Monica, and she was named after my mother.