Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain

Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience.

Please select the white circle:

Marijuana

As a painkiller, marijuana or, by its Latin name, cannabis, continues to remain highly controversial. In the eyes of many individuals campaigning on its behalf, marijuana rightfully belongs with other pain remedies. In fact, for many years, it was sold under highly controlled conditions in cigarette form by the Federal government for just that purpose.

In 1997, the National Institutes of Health held a workshop to discuss research on the possible therapeutic uses for smoked marijuana. Panel members from a number of fields reviewed published research and heard presentations from pain experts. The panel members concluded that, because there are too few scientific studies to prove marijuana's therapeutic utility for certain conditions, additional research is needed. There is evidence, however, that receptors to which marijuana binds are found in many brain regions that process information that can produce pain.

Return to Chronic Pain

Comment from: Freezing64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been using marijuana for several years now. I have MS, acromegaly, severe migraine s, depression, and back pain (due to a crack in my lower back). I am also being tested for other chronic diseases. I was prescribed fentanyl patches. It did not help with the pain and, in fact, almost killed me. I can't understand why doctors are so terrified to sign the Health Canada application. I have asked my GP, my endocrinologist, and my MS neurologist. I believe I have finally found a doctor who specializes in chronic pain, but he is two hours away from me. I hope that I will finally have a license to legally possess marijuana. I feel it is far safer than all of the prescribed narcotics. It really should not be so difficult to find a doctor who is willing to help.

Comment from: Patrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I'm a legal patient and caregiver. I've found if I can get the medicine in me I can manage without hurting my back. It does a great job on many types of pain, mostly body pain. If it's eaten it works slower but lasts longer, both are a great way to attack pain in many natural ways.