Senior Sex - Safe Sex

If you're a sexually active senior, how do you practice safe sex?

Am I too old to worry about safe sex?

Age does not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases. Older people who are sexually active may be at risk for diseases such as syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydial infection, genital herpes, hepatitis B, genital warts, and trichomoniasis.

Almost anyone who is sexually active is also at risk of being infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. The number of older people with HIV/AIDS is growing. You are at risk for HIV/AIDS if you or your partner has more than one sexual partner or if you are having unprotected sex. To protect yourself, always use a condom during sex. For women with vaginal dryness, lubricated condoms or a water-based lubricating jelly with condoms may be more comfortable. A man needs to have a full erection before putting on a condom.

Talk with your doctor about ways to protect yourself from all sexually transmitted diseases. Go for regular checkups and testing. Talk with your partner. You are never too old to be at risk.

Return to Senior Sex

Comment from: Col J K, Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

I am of the opinion to remain sexually involved with wife with inner voice is one of the main factor to remain sexually involved for a long time. I am 70 and have pleasure at least once a week. More over being in defense I remained away from my family for a long period during our prime time of young age. But strictly being conscious to my life partner, my wife, has kept both of us alive all the way and through period of tense, tough time, we remained together. Trust towards wife is main factor to enjoy sex even at old age.