Narcolepsy - Excessive Daytime Sleepiness

If you've been diagnosed with narcolepsy, please discuss your experience with daytime sleepiness.

Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS)

The main symptom of narcolepsy, excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), causes the patient to tend to fall asleep easily. This can happen in relaxed situations and also at inappropriate times and places. Patients may fall asleep while watching TV, reading a book, driving, attending a meeting, or engaging in a conversation. The daytime sleepiness is present even after normal nighttime sleep. Patients may describe this symptom as being tired, fatigued, sleepy, feeling lazy, or having low energy.

Excessive daytime sleepiness is present throughout the day but the patient, with extreme effort, may be able to resist the sleepiness for some time. Finally, it becomes overwhelming and results in a sleep episode of varied duration (seconds to minutes). In addition to daytime sleepiness, repetitive, irresistible, and unintentional sleep attacks may occur throughout the day. Excessive daytime sleepiness usually impairs a patient's functioning because it reduces motivation and vigilance, interferes with concentration and memory, and increases irritability.

Return to Narcolepsy

Comment from: Joseph 63, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I am facing day time sleep, especially while reading in the bed. Second minute I will fall asleep. I am feeling great embarrassment and prefer to sleep separate, to avoid attention of other people. The moment I try to concentrate on some subject I start feeling sleepy and can go into deep sleep fast. It affected my studies a lot and with the help of will power I finished my studies.

Comment from: ruggby, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I submitted to sleep study after decades of sleep disorder symptoms and difficulty staying awake on the road and in many environments. Then suddenly last spring, I started falling asleep without warning at stop lights and woke up driving past a semi one afternoon. Diagnosis was idiopathic insomnolence, and trying to find medication that works without pounding headaches and intense buzz. I am changing from modafinil to Nuvigil right now. Hoping to find the magic bullet. I don"t know why my condition suddenly became so extreme... stress of job was high; also nearly 60 years old now.