Myxedema Coma - Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms that you, a friend, or relative experienced with a myxedema coma.

What are the symptoms of myxedema coma?

When a patient presents with myxedema coma the following may be present:

• the body temperature is usually abnormally low (hypothermia), the core temperature may be as low as 80 F (26.6 C);
  • severe mental changes including hallucinations, disorientation, seizures, and ultimately, deep coma;
  • significant swelling (edema) all over the body with swollen eyes and thickening of the tongue,
  • sparse, dry hair, and loss of the outer thirds of the eyebrows;
  • difficulty breathing;
  • collections of fluid around the lungs and heart (pleural effusion and pericardial effusions);
  • the heart may slow down and its ability to pump blood forward can be impaired;
  • the gastrointestinal tract does not function well and sometimes it becomes paralyzed, thereby necessitating surgery; and
  • blood test abnormalities are a result of the increased fluid in the body. For example, sodium levels drop because of dilution, which is caused by the body retaining extra water.
Return to Myxedema Coma

Comment from: rjs00, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I stopped breathing in the emergency room and at least a couple times thereafter, and had to be resuscitated. My kidneys and digestive system shut down and I had to be fed intravenously for a month, and I drifted in and out of consciousness for the duration. I became deaf, but was still able to exchange handwritten notes with the nurses and my wife. My legs and testicles were swollen and I lost all my hair (it's since grown back). It took two months of physical therapy before I was able to walk with a walker. Seven years later, I am back to normal for a person my age (66).