Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

What is the lumbar spine, and what is lumbar spinal stenosis?

The lumbar spine is made up of five vertebral bodies in the lower back. Nerves coming off the spinal cord travel though the spinal canal and exit the canal through small openings on the sides of the vertebrae called foramina (singular = foramen). These nerves transmit sensations from the buttocks and lower extremities through the spinal cord to the brain and transmit motor signals from the brain to the lower extremities to produce movement of the legs, toes, and joints of the lower extremities.

Lumbar spinal stenosis is a condition whereby either the spinal canal (central stenosis) or one or more of the vertebral foramina (foraminal stenosis) becomes narrowed. If the narrowing is substantial, it causes compression of the spinal cord or spinal nerves, which causes the painful symptoms of lumbar spinal stenosis, including low back pain, buttock pain, and leg pain and numbness that is made worse with walking and relieved by resting.

Return to Lumbar Spinal Stenosis

Comment from: Bobby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

At work I helped a co-worker carry an office desk up two flights of stairs, after which my legs started to pain and I had extreme pressure in my ankle. Then I was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis. I had a laminectomy and epidural injections. This made me worse than I was. Now I deal with pain every day. My latest MRI and x-ray were reviewed by a reputable surgeon, he said I don't overstate the pain and I'll have to take medication for life. It is extremely painful and coping without help would make living everyday life impossible.

Comment from: tracy1969, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have lumbar spinal stenosis and degenerative disease. I have had double hip replacements in 2014 at the age of 45. I have thigh pain now and sometimes I can't walk. I sit most days in fear, the more I do the worse it is. This is no way to live. I am glad I am not the only one. I am scared to have surgery so I am starting pain management in 6 weeks. Hope they can help. My back pain is getting worse. I have had enough of this. No one else gets it if they are not living it.