Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Please select the white circle:

What is the lumbar spine, and what is lumbar spinal stenosis?

The lumbar spine is made up of five vertebral bodies in the lower back. Nerves coming off the spinal cord travel though the spinal canal and exit the canal through small openings on the sides of the vertebrae called foramina (singular = foramen). These nerves transmit sensations from the buttocks and lower extremities through the spinal cord to the brain and transmit motor signals from the brain to the lower extremities to produce movement of the legs, toes, and joints of the lower extremities.

Lumbar spinal stenosis is a condition whereby either the spinal canal (central stenosis) or one or more of the vertebral foramina (foraminal stenosis) becomes narrowed. If the narrowing is substantial, it causes compression of the spinal cord or spinal nerves, which causes the painful symptoms of lumbar spinal stenosis, including low back pain, buttock pain, and leg pain and numbness that is made worse with walking and relieved by resting.

Return to Lumbar Spinal Stenosis

Comment from: Mohammad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I am a 40 years old male, having back pain since last 3 years but it was on and off so I ignored it. Six months ago pain started in all joints of my body and it was unbearable. I went to a specialist and he did so many tests but all were negative. Finally I was sent to MRI which showed L4 disc sacralized in lumbar area, disc desiccation in C3 C4, and mild bulge in C4, C5 and C6. I am unable to bend more than 1 minute, can't lift any object as doctor warned me my disc can rupture with only a little pressure. I have osteoarthritis in both knees, shoulders hurt, elbow hurts, wrist pains and all finger joints hurt. I am very depressed, not interested in life at all but still I have to live to raise my 2 small kids.

Comment from: Ribbs, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I am 62 have had both knees replaced 2 years ago and a triple CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) 2 years ago. Now I have lumbar spinal stenosis, it is hard to walk far and when walking up steps it makes it hard to breathe at times. I am trying to last out the winter and have a laminectomy done in March if I can last that long.