De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for De Quervain's tenosynovitis in you or someone you know?

How is De Quervain's tenosynovitis treated?

Treatments for De Quervain's tenosynovitis includes any combination of rest, splinting, ice, antiinflammation medication, and/or cortisone injection. Cortisone injection is extremely effective and is generally the optimal treatment. Normal activity may be resumed within three weeks after an injection. Surgery is only rarely necessary and usually reserved for persisting inflammation after failure of at least one cortisone injection.

Return to DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis

Comment from: judyj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 9 weeks after diagnosis of De Quervain"s tenosynovitis to get cortisone injections. The pain kept increasing till it was unbearable. Naproxen had no effect. Injection was only at the top (back of hand). The pain stopped on top of the wrist and thumb but not underneath (palm of hand). The medicine did not travel. Later x-rays showed no cartilage left and the doctor said that"s why the medicine did not travel to the other side. He said I cannot get injections for 4 months (only 3 times a year) or it causes bone damage. Wrist splints press on the area and hurt causing more inflammation. I never did repetitive movements. This is very disabling.

Comment from: tomcaia012, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had De Quervain"s tenosynovitis for six months and diagnosed 4 months ago. I did therapy and got the dexamethasone injection with lidocaine and Marcaine but that lasted all but 30 minutes and the pain returned. They say it was from gaming but I never had this problem until I had a new born in the end of November. I am scheduled for another injection; not sure if that will work but I do not want to get surgery. This sucks because I am in the military and having this is difficult.