De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for De Quervain's tenosynovitis in you or someone you know?

Please select the black triangle:

How is De Quervain's tenosynovitis treated?

Treatments for De Quervain's tenosynovitis includes any combination of rest, splinting, ice, antiinflammation medication, and/or cortisone injection. Cortisone injection is extremely effective and is generally the optimal treatment. Normal activity may be resumed within three weeks after an injection. Surgery is only rarely necessary and usually reserved for persisting inflammation after failure of at least one cortisone injection.

Return to DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis

Comment from: dbeedle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I first had symptoms three months ago. De Quervain's tenosynovitis was diagnosed and I had a steroid injection in my wrist and wore a brace to immobilize the wrist and thumb. The doctor advised me that surgery might be required. The wrist seemed to be much better after four weeks and there was no pain. However, about two weeks ago the pain came back with a vengeance. I am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks.

Comment from: judyj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

It was 9 weeks after diagnosis of De Quervain"s tenosynovitis to get cortisone injections. The pain kept increasing till it was unbearable. Naproxen had no effect. Injection was only at the top (back of hand). The pain stopped on top of the wrist and thumb but not underneath (palm of hand). The medicine did not travel. Later x-rays showed no cartilage left and the doctor said that"s why the medicine did not travel to the other side. He said I cannot get injections for 4 months (only 3 times a year) or it causes bone damage. Wrist splints press on the area and hurt causing more inflammation. I never did repetitive movements. This is very disabling.

Stay Informed!