De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Diagnosis

What were the events that led to a diagnosis of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

Please select the white circle:

How is De Quervain's tenosynovitis diagnosed?

De Quervain's tenosynovitis is diagnosed based on the typical appearance, location of pain, and tenderness of the affected wrist. De Quervain's tenosynovitis is usually associated with pain when the thumb is folded across the palm and the fingers are flexed over the thumb as the hand is pulled away from the involved wrist area. (This is referred to as the Finkelstein maneuver.)

Return to DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I play kickball during the summer and back in 2012 I noticed a pain in my thumb/wrist while playing that gradually got worse the more I used that hand. I went to the doctor for something unrelated and ended up asking him about this pain. It was funny because I did the test for him. I told him, "when I do this with my thumb it hurts... what is that?" And he replied with saying, well you just did the test for De Quervain's. I thought he was making up the name and made him write it down for me so I could prove to everyone it wasn't a made up thing.

Comment from: Shannon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had about 3 months of aching in my left wrist that progressed. Eventually, my hand would go numb while sleeping. When I would move my thumb it became like a stabbing pain. I went to my orthopedists and they knew right away that it was De Quervain's tenosynovitis. I have been in a brace for 2 weeks and it helps a great deal although I have to take it off to bathe and do dishes. Occasionally, I move it the wrong way and the pain takes my breath away. I am hoping the 4 weeks in a brace will take care of it in order to avoid surgery. Doctor feels that the nerve is inflamed; hope that doesn't mean longer in this brace.

Stay Informed!