De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Diagnosis

What were the events that led to a diagnosis of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

Please select the black square:

How is De Quervain's tenosynovitis diagnosed?

De Quervain's tenosynovitis is diagnosed based on the typical appearance, location of pain, and tenderness of the affected wrist. De Quervain's tenosynovitis is usually associated with pain when the thumb is folded across the palm and the fingers are flexed over the thumb as the hand is pulled away from the involved wrist area. (This is referred to as the Finkelstein maneuver.)

Return to DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis

Comment from: Shannon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had about 3 months of aching in my left wrist that progressed. Eventually, my hand would go numb while sleeping. When I would move my thumb it became like a stabbing pain. I went to my orthopedists and they knew right away that it was De Quervain's tenosynovitis. I have been in a brace for 2 weeks and it helps a great deal although I have to take it off to bathe and do dishes. Occasionally, I move it the wrong way and the pain takes my breath away. I am hoping the 4 weeks in a brace will take care of it in order to avoid surgery. Doctor feels that the nerve is inflamed; hope that doesn't mean longer in this brace.

Comment from: Teresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been a hairstylist for 20 years. Over a year ago I had some pain and swelling in my left wrist, and my doctor gave me one cortisone injection. It did reduce the inflammation and pain after a few weeks, but it also caused an unusual amount of atrophy and left my wrist looking abnormal. Unfortunately six months later my right wrist began to hurt and was also diagnosed with De Quervain"s tenosynovitis as well (due to occupational overuse/repetitive movement). Crazy as it was I took another injection, only this time there was no relief, I have suffered with this too long, I will have my first surgery on Monday, April 28,2014. I look forward to sharing the results of my surgery and recovery.