De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

What are symptoms of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

De Quervain's tenosynovitis causes pain and tenderness at the side of the wrist beneath the base of the thumb. Sometimes there is slight swelling and redness in the area.

Return to DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis

Comment from: ArtsyLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was just diagnosed with De Quervain's tenosynovitis last week by my new primary care doctor. The symptoms started a year ago right after having carpal tunnel surgery. The neurologist who did my carpal tunnel surgery seemed unconcerned and kept telling me to exercise my hand by squeezing an exercise ball. I've been doing that for the past year with no relief. In fact the pain has worsened. I'm wondering if the surgeon may have accidentally cut or dislodged a tendon causing this to happen. I have been wearing a brace for several months with no relief. The pain has just progressively gotten worse and worse. I'm thinking about contacting a lawyer to investigate whether this was caused by surgeon error or just a coincidence that the pain started immediately after the carpal tunnel surgery.

Comment from: nitza, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I am seeking information and help for my dominating right hand. I had an accident five months ago, I had an air cast for 6 weeks, then a hard cast for 11 days because the cast was tight and all of my fingers turned purple, so they had to remove the cast. Then I had to keep a hard brace on for 6 more weeks. After the hand specialist saw me he said I had developed arthritis and tendinosis. Four weeks after the corticosteroid shot they say I have De Quervain's disease, carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel. I have to sleep with an elbow brace and a splint that was built for me. The pain is unbearable and the tingling and numbness have not gone away. I am afraid that I won't be able to regain my strength. I have been to physical therapy and occupational therapy for 21 visits, but I still haven't gained much strength. I am an assistant chef and have not been able to use my chef knife because I can't hold it for long. I want to die from the pain on my forearm and wrist. I would love to be able to go back to work.