De Quervain's Tenosynovitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms of De Quervain's tenosynovitis?

De Quervain's tenosynovitis causes pain and tenderness at the side of the wrist beneath the base of the thumb. Sometimes there is slight swelling and redness in the area.

Return to DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis

Comment from: nitza, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I am seeking information and help for my dominating right hand. I had an accident five months ago, I had an air cast for 6 weeks, then a hard cast for 11 days because the cast was tight and all of my fingers turned purple, so they had to remove the cast. Then I had to keep a hard brace on for 6 more weeks. After the hand specialist saw me he said I had developed arthritis and tendinosis. Four weeks after the corticosteroid shot they say I have De Quervain's disease, carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel. I have to sleep with an elbow brace and a splint that was built for me. The pain is unbearable and the tingling and numbness have not gone away. I am afraid that I won't be able to regain my strength. I have been to physical therapy and occupational therapy for 21 visits, but I still haven't gained much strength. I am an assistant chef and have not been able to use my chef knife because I can't hold it for long. I want to die from the pain on my forearm and wrist. I would love to be able to go back to work.

Comment from: l_gar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had thumb joint replacement with carpel tunnel release, because I was having severe pain when I played the bassoon. Three months after surgery and physical therapy the pain in the base of the thumb was gone and my fingers didn't fall asleep. I still had pain at the wrist though. After two injections and stretching the wrist, just like the test for De Quervain's tenosynovitis, I got the pain to go away. Now the tendons are popping and snapping when I hold something and bend my wrist and that causes pain. So I'm being scheduled for surgery.