Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Experience

Please describe the inflammatory bowel disease you suffer from.

Please select the white circle:

What is inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)?

Ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease (CD) are known as the inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). The precise cause of IBD remains unknown. These diseases are believed to be caused by a combination of genetic and non-genetic, or environmental factors (for example, infections) that interact with the body's immune (defense) system. When the intestinal immune system does not function properly, many white blood cells accumulate in the inner lining (mucosa) of the gut. The white cells then release chemicals that lead to tissue injury (inflammation). This inflammation of the mucosa can cause diarrhea, which is the most common symptom of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, with or without the intestinal complications.

Return to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)

Comment from: loving daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I have just read several posting's and I can relate to several in the care my mother is receiving (or lack there of). She has been sick for almost three years and lost over 25 lbs. The doctors have treated her with anti-depressants and fiber. The symptons persit with swelling after the second meal of the day to the point of vomiting. She is mal-nourished and now on a liquid diet. We are pushing with the current GI doctor for some answers after several Barium x-rays and CAT scans we do not have any.

Comment from: M79, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I cannot move my bowels. I go very little; for over 3 months. I have a doctor appointment on Monday.